Final Thoughts on Crowdsourcing the World 2015

When I registered for this class, I had no idea what I was getting into. Being a technical theatre major, I don’t have to take a lot of non-arts classes and was excited to get out and take a new and different class, especially with it being a class specific to the bike race. I had taken a few media classes prior, so at the beginning I wasn’t too surprised, but as the class went on I learned that there was so much more out their to learn about media studies.

Throughout this course I have learned how to use social media to my benefit in promoting whatever I need to. The assignments using twitter and posting picture I had taken on my phone were awesome. I finally learned how to take a good picture! Some classes you can take, even the ones online, are outdated and don’t use any sort of media aspects. This class embraced the media aspects and taught us how that, in the changing world, it can work in a positive way.

I know in the future I would like to take more classes like this. I have come out of this class alive, and wanting to know more and that’s what I think a class should do. Captivate someone to want to continue learning about these subjects. The UCI World Championships were an interesting event to focus on, and this online class opened me up to the experience of getting more involved with Richmond and what goes on here.

A Week at the Races

On Broad Street, cyclists can be seen riding along with the skyscrapers in the background.
A lone cyclist rides by patrons of the bike race as they cheer them on.
On Monument Avenue, cyclists ride by the whimsical row houses and get a taste of what Richmond is like.
Cyclists from the CCC team ride together on Broad Street during the time trials.

A member of the USA Women's bike team poses out on the race course.
A member of the USA Women’s bike team poses out on the race course.

Cyclists during the team training on September 19th come up behind one another on Monument Avenue.

Cyclists riding in front of the Robert E. Lee statue on Monument Avenue.
A lone cyclist on Broad Street rides by during their road circuit race.
In front of the VA Repertory Theatre on Broad Street, cyclists go by for the spectators to enjoy on one of the last days of the race.
Teams practice together on the first day of the bike race, feeling out the track on Monument Avenue.
Broad Street was one of the main drags for the bike race as you can see cyclists riding down it with their teams.

A Week in the Life of a Theatre Major

Donald Cairns relaxing by a family friends pool on Sunday, September 13, 2015.
Inside the Singleton Performing Arts Center Lobby, The Rocky Horror Show's poster is up outside of the Hodges Theatre promoting it's performance dates. The show opens Halloween weekend and runs until mid November.
Inside the Singleton Performing Arts Center Lobby, The Rocky Horror Show’s poster is up outside of the Hodges Theatre promoting it’s performance dates. The show opens Halloween weekend and runs until mid November.
The view from The Knoll, outside of the VCU Singleton Performing Arts Center, over looking the Cabell Library.
The Rocky Horror Show's Production Assistants, Phoebe Copeland and Abigale Bobb, set up for a choreography rehearsal on Septemeber 17, 2015.
The Rocky Horror Show’s Production Assistants, Phoebe Copeland and Abigale Bobb, set up for a choreography rehearsal on Septemeber 17, 2015.
Rachel Elder, Production Stage Manager for The Rocky Horror show at TheatreVCU takes a break from rehearsal to pose for a picture.
In the patio underneath the Pollock building, students have put their artwork on display for the public to view.
The Red Bull Car driving down Harrison Street on the VCU campus on September 17th.
Some of the sisters of Alpha Sigma Alpha, Epsilon Gamma Chapter, having fun before Bid Day to welcome their new Fall 2015 pledge class.
VCU Theatre Performance Major Jenna Kraynack having fun on a break during The Rocky Horror Show rehearsal where she is starring as Janet Weiss on September 15, 2015.
VCU Theatre Performance Major Jenna Kraynak having fun on a break during The Rocky Horror Show rehearsal where she is starring as Janet Weiss on September 15, 2015.
Blocked off streets and construction have become in the City of Richmond due to the upcoming UCI World Championship Bike Race beginning Friday, September 18.
Blocked off streets and construction have become the norm in the City of Richmond due to the upcoming UCI World Championship Bike Race beginning Friday, September 18.
On the VCU campus off of Shafer Street, you can find a few secluded places for a break in between classes.
Production Assistant, Abigale Bobb, stops to take a picture during The Rocky Horror Show rehearsal.

Hello!

My name is Katie Cairns and I am a Junior Technical Theatre major with a concentration in stage management at VCU.  One day I hope to work as a professional stage manager travelling the world on different shows. I have always had an interest in entertainment, growing up doing community theatre and dance. Besides theatre, my interests include being an active sister in Alpha Sigma Alpha sorority on campus, as well as knitting and crocheting and other sorts of crafting.

I signed up for this course because I am interested in media studies, and will hopefully be getting a Media Studies minor along with my theatre degree. I recently took a class on public relations, and I am currently taking a class on mass communications, so I am hoping I will be able to relate this class to those.

While I am not an avid bike rider, I do own a bike that I occasionally ride to school. I haven’t ridden one since I was about 14, so getting back on after all these years was definitely interesting.

I have a few different social media accounts, such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and all the basics, but I am not active on most of them. Instagram is by far my favorite and I use it to stay up to date on what my friends are up to, as well as just following fun photography and fashion accounts. I think social media is a great thing in finding out about news and pop culture, and a way to stay connected with the world around you.