The Journey of an Aspiring Educator

Katrina Nelson

Hello everyone!

My name is Katrina, and I’m currently a senior at Virginia Commonwealth University. Professionally, I’m currently working toward finishing my Bachelor’s Degree in Liberal Studies for Early and Elementary Education in Spring 2021. After graduation, I will hopefully enter the Master’s of Teaching program at VCU, and begin my teaching career. My ultimate teaching career goal is to be able to go back overseas to Japan and teach English as a second language to Japanese students there, as my family and I lived there for about 11 years. However, my other teaching passions lie with students of Title 1 schools, so I will begin my teaching career serving minority students in low-income areas first, as I desire to teach to make a difference.

As far as a little bit more about me personally, I was born in Concord, Massachusetts and moved to Newport News, Virginia shortly after. However, after only living in VA for two years, my dad received a newย duty assignment in the Air Force to Yokota Air Force Base, Japan, so we relocated and I consider Japan home to me as I essentially grew up there. I adore and admire my family with all of my heart. They are the most important factor in my life, and everyday they fascinate me with their wealth of knowledge and insightful advice that they constantly give me in order to proceed through life in the best way possible. My parents are a little older than your average parents, but they have seen so much, and I value their perspective above anyone else’s.

In addition to them, I equally share my love with a celebrity known as Justin Bieber. I’ve been his biggest fan since he started out in the music scene circa 2008. I love to spend time binge-watching shows on every streaming service, going for long drives and road trips, traveling to places I’ve never been before, finding new food spots to try, movie nights, and being with close friends.

I’m also a Pisces, so I tend to value my relationships a lot more than the usual person & get very sappy when I talk about those I’m close with. ๐Ÿ™‚ Lastly, I consider myself really involved on campus. Between being in my sorority, a Resident Assistant, working at the VCU Daycare, and a Student Coordinator/Orientation Leader for VCU New Student and Family Programs, my time is spread thin, but I wouldn’t change it for the world. I absolutely love VCU!

»