publicsoc, week-6

Week 6: Academy and/or Activism

22 Feb , 2018  

I found this week’s topic especially interesting, in part because of how relevant the issue of activism is in the current political climate. The report “Academic Freedom and Tenure: The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign” in particular caught my attention, because I find the withdrawal of Dr. Salaita’s appointment unfair and in contrast to …

Continue reading “Week 6: Academy and/or Activism”

publicsoc, week-6

Week 6-Academy and/or Activism

21 Feb , 2018  

The concept of academia and activism going hand in hand is a new topic of discussion for me.  I would think, on the surface, that they would go together.  In the Orgtheory article, it is argued that while they can go together, the differentiation between what the activist and scholar accomplish are separated.  Teachers in …

Continue reading “Week 6-Academy and/or Activism”

publicsoc, week-5

Week 5 in Public Sociology: Digital Revolution in the Academy

16 Feb , 2018  

As most of us realize, when it comes to information access and global communication, the creation of the World Wide Web was a pretty big deal. It revolutionized our relationship to other individuals, communities, and cultures, and provided a faster, more inclusive forum where anyone with an internet connection can be part of a global […]

publicsoc

Week Five

14 Feb , 2018  

The internet and social media has changed the way we communicate, the way we work, maintain relationships/friendships, as well as the way we receive news/information. People used to hear news only through radios, television sets or newspapers. However, with the web, thousands of news sites and educative blogs contain articles, blogs, and contents written by top …

Continue reading “Week Five”

publicsoc, week-5

Week 5

13 Feb , 2018  

I think intentionality is important when blogging or wanting to start a blog.  In the get a life article, the intention starts at an interesting and informative domain name stemming to useful and interesting idea.  Using images and reader interest can spark the sharing of idea from blog to reader.  Blogging for me is a …

Continue reading “Week 5”

publicsoc, week-5

Week 5: Digital Revolution in the Academy

13 Feb , 2018  

This week’s readings complemented the themes from week 3 nicely in that they explore a possible avenue for ameliorating the issue of sociology’s professionalization. While each article brings up their own specific suggestions for how to do this, the common idea between them all is that creating a more open platform for sociology to be …

Continue reading “Week 5: Digital Revolution in the Academy”

publicsoc, week-3

Week 3: Prominent Public Sociologists

2 Feb , 2018  

Burawoy This may be an obvious choice as he gave the 2004 ASA Presidential Address we were assigned to read for the first week of class, but arguably no conversation of public sociology can leave out Michael Burawoy. Very much in line with the themes of this week’s readings, his dismissal of “professional sociology” and …

Continue reading “Week 3: Prominent Public Sociologists”

publicsoc, week-3

Week 3: Professionalization of Sociology

2 Feb , 2018  

I thought this week’s readings brought up a really interesting and relevant point not only for public sociology, but for a wide variety of academic disciplines. Throughout academia, the problem described by Stein, Collins, Jurgenson and Badgett is ubiquitous: we are taught from the very beginning of our education to write in increasingly technical language, …

Continue reading “Week 3: Professionalization of Sociology”

publicsoc

Public Sociologists

31 Jan , 2018  

I would consider Michel Foucault a public sociologist of his time.  His method expounded upon history, science and philosophy to bring to light a current power and knowledge and how that relates to social control.  His theory on the History of Sexuality holds pertinent ideas of how change is not the constant in sexual terms.  …

Continue reading “Public Sociologists”

publicsoc, week-3

Week 3 Blog-Professionalization of Sociology

31 Jan , 2018  

The Nathan Jurgenson article talks about relevance in academia and what it means for certain areas of expertise.  I think that public sociology is very relevant by definition because the accessibility is endless through social media and the internet.  I imagine that public relevance would be a key topic for sociologists to filter their research …

Continue reading “Week 3 Blog-Professionalization of Sociology”