Outside

Sir Andy Murray “Down Under”

16 Jan , 2017  

The recently knighted Scotsman and new world-number-one-ranked tennis player, Andy Murray, will be entering the Australian Open with his confidence sky-high, looking to start this year just as he ended the last. After defeating Novak Djokovic in the end-of-season ATP Tour final in November and, perhaps most crucially, in the process, finishing above him in […]

Outside

Trump and the neglect of the working class

15 Jan , 2017  

Working-class issues seem to have lost their salience, as if even American sociology was also telling them that they didn’t matter.

, , , , , ,

Outside

15 Jan , 2017  

, , , , , ,

Outside

15 Jan , 2017  

Outside

DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. TO SOCIAL SCIENTISTS: “Tell it like it is”

15 Jan , 2017  

Updated January 13th, 2017 In 1967 (seven months before his assassination) Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. gave a speech to the American Psychological Association at their annual conference. According to APA, the text of his speech was “reprinted in the Journal of Social Issues (Vol. 24, No. 1, 1968). While the speech was in galley proofs, the shocking […]

Outside

What makes for a successful public-sector workplace?

14 Jan , 2017  

MINNPOST Community Voices features opinion pieces from a wide variety of authors and perspectives. What makes for a successful public-sector workplace?  By Monte Bute January 13, 2017 Wherever we work, employers use a fundamental mission to shape our daily labor. For the private sector, it is profit maximization. For nonprofits, it is service to others. For the […]

Outside

Remembering Zygmunt Bauman: Social Media, Sorcery, and Pleasurable Traps

13 Jan , 2017  

Earlier this week, I posted a remembrance of the ways Zygmunt Bauman influenced us here at Cyborgology. In this post, I reflect on–and attempt to further develop–some of the aspects of Bauman’s thought that may be useful to us as we continue our work theorizing digital media. Two things I most admired about Zygmunt Bauman were his […]

Outside

TSP’s Weekly Roundup: Jan. 13, 2017

13 Jan , 2017  

Hello and happy Friday! We are enjoying our last few days of winter break here in Minnesota, but we are excited to be back in full force for the spring semester next week. In this roundup, we have our last round of Best Of and Most Popular 2016 posts, and we highlight some new pieces on charitable giving, medical […]

Outside

Code-switching and linguistic acrobatics on the internet

13 Jan , 2017  

When I was conference-hopping last month, I caught up with an academic friend who had unfollowed me on Twitter. While transiting from a proper academic conversation at the dinner table of a nice restaurant to a more intimate catch-up about our personal lives over drinks in a cosy bar, my friend admitted that they thought my […]

Outside

Trolling #notallmen in India

12 Jan , 2017  

On December 16, 2012, a violent incident took place on the streets of New Delhi, India: a 23 year old student on her way back from the movies was gang-raped, disemboweled, and died from her injuries two weeks later. The incident sparked nationwide and global outrage; protests across the country; televised and social media discussion […]