Connecting Nuggets

Ever since primitive times, Lorenz claims, laughter has denoted a situation of security for group members; danger is no longer expected and they can continue their enjoyment together, without suspicion….
In other words, interpersonal humor oils the wheels of communication and permits the establishment of social relations with a minimum of conflict

I picked this nugget because it relates to my other source about computer humor. In their study Shifman & Blondheim discuss release theory which proposed that humor is a way to release tensions and frustrations. In humor we feel safe to express our feelings. Your friend can be making a comment on a real issue they’re having with you but if they do it by sending a funny meme that mocks that issue you are going to receive it better. Humor is the buffer of the internet. All of the tensions, political and religious beliefs, and debates that take place online are diffused by comedic relief.  Without it social media would destroy itself.

In this source Ziv discusses the use of humor as relief as a way to build connection among people. This is another main point of my argument. Funny videos or posts on Instagram draw attention if we can relate to them and then want to share them with others we think will relate to their humor as well. This article and the Shifman and Blondheim article have both mentioned the concept behind relief theory so I think I am going to use that to explain why important connections develop over the internet through humor. Also after reading these articles I am able to narrow down the type of humor I am looking into which is that shared through social media and mainly consists of memes and short videos.

Another thing to consider…this article is interesting because it presents how humor is important to group relations. My argument on humor and the internet does not specify a group and this article made me challenge that. I think a unique characteristic about the internet is the feeling of cohesion despite it’s inclusive design. Anyone is free to access any of the things in social media (excluding individual things set to private) that develop as trends. Everyone is in on the joke. This is something else that I feel is very important to my argument. We are attracted to certain types of humorous postings on social media and choose whether or not to share that meme or video, etc. I suppose you could classify different groups that share similar struggles (restaurant workers, students, dog owners). I think this article has several great points that will be helpful for my article but I am not sure where, or if, the group framing is helpful.