I wanted to choose from a couple of nuggets, but I choose this one….

“It is intended to fill a crying need. Lots of everyday people have asked me where they can learn about computers, and I have had to say nowhere. Most of what is written about computers for the layman is either unreadable or silly. ”

I find this so relevant to life today, and I actually like how direct Nelson is throughout the whole article. It reminds me of how old people act when trying to use a computer. My parents always ask where they can learn about computers and like Nelson said “any nitwit can understand computers, and many do,” but there are many that don’t. You can’t get a book on how to use computers, it’s silly or nobody can understand it. Some people take classes, and I think to myself like what are you even doing. Some people make using technology so much harder than it is. Nelson talks about how fantics where he is talking about to get getting ideas across by art and science. Also, the “human mind is very supple” and almost everything can be understood, but people set the controls. It’s important to keep an open mind about computers, since I feel like there are some people that don’t. There would be less people crying and asking where they can learn about them from.

5 comments on “CL/DM

• This is interesting Harpreet, because when I first read this piece, I agreed with Nelson (and you). But, I’ve come to change my mind a bit. While I continue to agree with you that the best way to learn how to use a computer is to use a computer (and not read a book or follow an instruction manual), I feel a little differently about the “nitwit” line. Any “nitwit” can use a computer the way 99.5% of people use computers. But, computing is SO much more than using a computer. Can you program your computer? (I can’t, so I’m not singling you out here). It seems to me that to USE a computer, that is, really USE a computer for what it was built to do, would require computing skills that most of us don’t have.

We’re all pretty good a web browsing, using basic features of the operating system, and maybe use some productivity software (MS Office), but that’s probably 10% of what a computer can do.

What do you think about that?

• Your post made me think about those “iphone for dummies” books that everyone seems to want to buy (insert laughing emoji). I do agree with you that it is so ironic people who attempt to learn something by doing something else like the example you described. Most people don’t realize that just using logic will actually get you a long way with computers and technology in general. My mom always asks me how to do something on her computer and instead of just telling her (because let’s be real she’ll just forget it anyway) I ask her to do what she THINKS she should do if she were the computer. For the most part this technique actually works!

• I was taken back a bit at that nitwit line but then I got used to his way of talking.
    I just don’t see it like that. I think it’s the way you grow up and the way your brain is used to thinking. I’m sure there’s more research on this and I remember someone in our class is using it as their research project so that will be exciting to see. But older generations can think in a way that we can’t. And we really grew up with this technology. Absorbing it in the developing brain of a child is much different than trying to do so as an adult.

• I can relate with this. My grandpa is always asking me how to use his computer or websites or his phone. My grandma works with a computer all day so helping her was not that hard. If my Popa doesn’t get an answer that he likes he gets really mad and goes on a rampage. Frequently complaining about how no one wants to help him learn and my Mammy has to interject that we do he just gets pissed off. I think we all have different levels of adaptability and a mindset on how we are going to take in information. Honestly, I have only found out how to use a computer by sitting on it for hours (when I was younger and actually had time).