SRL

Using a module to teach new MMAC employees about diabetes would have an aspect of self regulated learning. The module would require them to complete it on their own and in order to do that they would need to use SRL principals to complete it. They would be able to use the learning objectives for the module to develop their own goals for the module.  They will use self reflection in that they will evaluate if they were able to meet the learning objectives.

In the study by Whipp & Chiareli, it talks about face to face interactions before and after. This is something that would be incorporated in my module.  I would meet with them to explain the process and the objectives of the module. I would then meet with them after completion to provide time for them to ask any questions that they may have from the module.

I feel that many people starting a new job have the qualities of SRL because they are “excited” about the new opportunity and are motivated. I ask my peers… do you agree or have any thoughts about this as well?

8 Replies to “SRL”

1. Hi Kim,
    I agree with your thoughts about new employees being motivated. I think also, for the most part, students beginning a class are in that same boat- they are motivated and ready to start a course that is one step closer to their career path. I mentioned in my post that it may be helpful to do an overview of this theory when starting a course and embed parts of the phases throughout each module of the course.

When looking at our courses, it sometimes seems difficult to apply this in an employment setting versus an academic setting. However, in the healthcare setting, employees have to go through much continuing education and annual training. Do you see this SLP theory applying to other educational requirements for health care providers?
    Thanks Kim for your post!
    Beth

2. I like your point about people starting a new job demonstrating SRL qualities because they are motivated and excited to be starting something new. Have you experienced this yourself? I know I have. Also, I think it raises another interesting question about how employees /employers can maintain that enthusiasm so those SRL qualities aren’t dropped. These could bring up issues of self-efficacy, motivation, professional recognition, and more. . . Maybe not questions to tackle in this module, but your observation certainly made me think.

Matt

1. Oh, boy, good point about how to keep the ball rolling. When I was a public school teacher, it was certainly common to feel on a high at the beginning of the school year. Experienced teachers understand the ebb and flow of the system and may have SRL skills in place to combat the real lows. A good coach spends time reflecting on the SRL skills that one has learned to be successful. Understanding what is needed and then considering how to weave them into learning might help to keep the learning in balance.

3. Beth- I do see that we could use SRL theory in the continuing education parts of healthcare. I think if we could get employees, specifically long term employees, to maintain these principles it would encourage them to actively seek continued professional development as opposed to just getting complacent.

Matt- Yes, I have been there in wanting to learn. I agree about finding a way to keep the employees engaged using SRL principles to make them desire continued education. I, personally, enjoy learning new things all the time (which is why I returned to school to pursue my Doctorate of Nursing Practice). What I have found doing education and development in my job is that many people don’t share that same drive. Finding a way to spark their interest and desire to continually learn would be great!

Thank you both for your comments.
    KIm

4. Hi Kim,

I certainly agree with you on new employees being “excited and motivated” about their new opportunity and because of that exhibiting SRL principles. From my experience assisting with new employee onboarding training, the majority of new employees typically/organically start every new learning experience exhibiting SRL principles that would foster their success within their career. From your experience, was there ever a time where you had an overconfident new employee that rushed through the learning process? I unfortunately had that experience with a former colleague. As many times as I reiterated policies and procedures, their impulsive actions made it hard for them to ever be considered for a promotion or even taken seriously in the workplace.

Anna

5. Meeting with the students before and after the module is a great way to meet the students’ needs. This is why blended learning is the touted as the best approach for learning with technology.

6. I agree that your population may be motivated, but I wonder if some of them, who may have limited experience learning online, may not be able to translate that motivation and SRL skills from f2f learning environments into SRL skills for a virtual environment? Thoughts?

7. Hey there,

I think that a face-to-face interaction could be a great idea for your context since the learners are new employees, and therefore local. How would you go about instilling the values of SRL to your students in the in-person sessions. I ask for my own learning really, I would like to employ this method , in the case that my learners are all able to attend an in-person session for SRL.

I think that maybe an activity where the students created a work plan might be helpful to start thinking critically about specific techniques they will use to be successful in your course.