Learning Module Outline-Captain

1.  Learning Outcomes-students will improve their perception of their confidence in their study skills, communication (ability to access resources for help), organization and time management.  Students will also decrease the amount of anxiety they feel prior to testing situation and will increase their perceptions of their preparedness for assessments.
  2. Learning outcomes will be assessed via pre/post test measuring their perception of their confidence in their study skill abilities including organization, time management, ability to communicate with teachers, and test preparedness.
  3. The module will be presented in seven sessions during Indian Time (40 min) spanning over two marking periods.

Session 1: Introduction (10/26/16)

Introduction to the module-notify students of learning goals and make group introductions.  Explain hybrid format of Achievement Seminars.

• Give pre-test via Schoology
  • Show video on confidence
    • why is this important?
    • discuss critical points for building confidence
  • Show video on successful person versus unsuccessful person
    • discuss differences
  • If time allows, assign study skills booklet and explain how we will use it.

Discussion Questions to be posted before Session 2:  What is one personal goal you have for yourself during these seminars (i.e. improve math test scores, set up a planner, have no missing assignments for a marking period)?  Give one example of a time during this week that you have exhibited a quality of a successful person.

Session 2:  Study Skills (11/9/16)

• Show Video-Study Skills for people who hate to study
    • discuss how we relate to these feelings
  • Show Video-9 Scientific Study Tips
    • break into small groups and choose top 3 study tips.  Discuss why you like them best and how you plan to use them for a specific upcoming test/quiz
  • Study Skills Booklet
    • activity 1??
  • Review discussion questions from last week.
  • Reminders to continue to check in on Schoology for during week we are not meeting

Session 3:  Test Preparation and Reducing Test Anxiety (11/30/16)-I picked this topic for this week b/c it is 2 weeks before semester exams and a lot of my group is freshman and this will be their first experience with semester exams.

• Video on test anxiety
    • discuss the physiological responses to anxiety
  • Best way to reduce test anxiety is to Be Prepared
    • handout on test taking tips
    • handout on strategies for reducing test anxiety
  • Work in small groups to discuss test taking strategies they have used in the past.  Successful or not?  Identify at least one new strategy they will put in place for upcoming test/quiz/exam

Session 4:  Time Management and Organization (1/11/17)

• Share various options for tracking deadlines-planners, electronic alarms, online calendars
  • Give scenarios of things to get done and a timeframe and have the students work out plans for meeting deadlines

Session 5:  Communication Skills and Self-Advocacy (1/25/17)

• Video for communication
  • Role Play in small groups to practice communication with teachers

Session 6:  Study Skills (3/1/17)

• Review of skills and strategies we’ve discussed so far.  Favorites?  Things that have worked?  Have goals been met?
  • Give Post-Test

*The last 3 sessions are not fully developed yet.  I am still identifying resources and specific content I want to include.

7 thoughts on “Learning Module Outline-Captain

1. This sounds like a hugh undertaking! I will definitely be interested in and perhaps visit the site with my own son. This topic is vital for students to get a handle on because grades impact choices and decisions as they progress through school and beyond. I just wonder how you will integrate all of the information you want in this module. I can see test taking anxiety in first graders already creeping into their bodies and it breaks my heart! Good luck and I would love to get your feedback on student outcomes once completed!

1. I can certainly share the post test results once they are in end of March. This is something that I want to use year after year and maybe even run more than one group once interest builds (if it does). For this first year I am learning how much content I can fit into the 40 minute Indian Time. For this reason, I will be very selective with the information I bring in and then based on student response, see what else I can include. My goal is to really find 2-3 key concepts and go over those in multiple ways so that it will sink in and they will see some results in their classes.

2. Kelyn… this looks daunting…but in a good way. I can tell you put some time and effort and thought into this… huge undertaking for one person (who already has other stuff going on outside of this).

I didn’t see in the pre-testing / discussion, but are you having students either discuss or write down what they think of their own confidence level… or are you just going to have the pre-test determine that (and then have students react / reflect on what the pre-test says?) Might also be interesting to see what students think they are confident in and then compare/discuss why they may not be confident in school.

With the Study Skills section, are students going to share how / if they study and then compare that to the videos they watch and talk about it via your discussions? You can have them (or their parents??) assess their study skills and whether or not it’s working…and then work to build and improve on what they already have.

I like the Test Prep lesson. This may be a good time to incorporate one of their teachers who they may be struggling with to come in and offer ways to study for that particular test.

Why are you waiting for Time Management and Organization until January? Would this be moved higher up on the list before exams so students can practice time management and organization when it comes to studying and test prep?

I almost think all of these play together and would be worked on and discussed continually. While it may not be that sessions “Indian Time” you could still link ideas together…hopefully the kids would do that themselves?

1. oooh-all good questions! I am waiting on the time mgmt part simply b/c of timing. I would have liked to sneak it in earlier, but I felt like I needed to have a study skills session right away and then the test stuff fit in so nicely right before exams and then the earliest I could get to the time mgmt was Jan. I couldn’t schedule any sessions in Dec b/c of the exam schedule and other obligations on my plate. I also had to avoid Feb b/c we get started with scheduling then. In future years, I may end up planning the sessions weekly in order to get them completed in Oct and Nov.
      That’s a great idea to get feed back from specific teachers as one of my goals is to really get the kids to connect these skills and USE them in their current classes.
      Quite honestly, at this point the pre/post test is in place simply for smart goal purposes. Perceptions of their confidence in their abilities re: study skills, time mgmt, test taking, etc. was the only way I could come up with to get some concrete data. In future sessions I could definitely delve more deeply into their answers and perhaps have the other counselors do some individual sessions w/their students to dissect those answers on a more personal level than a group environment will allow.
      I am going to ask students to share via discussion questions their study skills they are using after the first session and how it’s working out for them. During the second study skills session in March I will have more of a group face-to-face discussion about this.
      Thanks for the feedback!

1. I want my learning outcomes to be about improving skills. However, this is really hard to measure. For the pre-test/post-test I felt that the only thing I could really measure would be the perceptions (or confidence levels) the students had about their study skills, communication skills, test prep, etc. I considered using quizzes or tests in certain classes and comparing those as a measure of an improvement in their skills, but I felt that had too many other factors. Like determining exactly what study skills were used and when and with content varying it could be that they did poorly on the first vocab quiz b/c the words were completely foreign to them, but then on the 2nd there were some words they had seen before and that contributed to the improved grade, not the study strategies they used. It just got too complicated. In order to get an accurate measurement of improving skills I think I would have to also control the content and their specific study strategies instead of letting them choose what they want to use.

1. yeah, this is complicated. I know there are some instruments to meaaure self-regulated learning, and maybe that could help guide us. Let me talk to one of my doc students who developed some stuff like this and I will include you on the conversation on twitter.