TPACK Lesson-Captain

Disclaimer: this is the furthest out of my comfort zone I have been so far.  TPACK was a completely foreign concept to me and is now only a little less so.  I welcome any and all feedback, but especially in the pedagogy area.  My content is on a much smaller scale than most everyone else’s so that was also a challenge.

Lesson Description:

Students will use Schoology as well as a face-to-face meeting during Indian Time (40 minutes) to review various study skills strategies, identify which ones they have tried in the past and which ones they are willing to implement moving forward.  Study skills will be presented via videos, website links, and workbook exercises.  Students will discuss the goals they set in a previously answered Schoology discussion question.  Students will work in small groups to complete exercises to develop and practice study skills.

1. The main Content (C) of this lesson is study skills strategies-how students can implement them in current classes.
  2. The main Pedagogy (P) of this lesson is active learning and cooperative learning.
  3. The main Technology (T) of this lesson is videos, website links, and online discussion-all presented via Schoology course.

Pedagogical Content Knowledge (PCK)

Describe: Discussion of the various study skill strategies after they are presented will help students decide which ones might work in their particular situation.  Students can learn from each other pros/cons of each strategy while they examine how each strategy would or would not fit their needs and personal learning style.  As students talk with each other they will recognize that they are not alone in their struggles and encourage each other to implement new strategies to improve study habits.  This discussion and personal connection will assist students in retaining the strategies and moving forward with implementing them.

Support:   https://teach.com/what/teachers-teach/teaching-methods/

http://serc.carleton.edu/sp/library/pedagogies.html

Technological Content Knowledge (TCK)

Describe:  Schoology is a familiar tool used by all teachers and students in our school.  The online format for discussion questions provides them with a more comfortable forum for initial sharing and the time constraints of our face-to-face meetings are better suited for a quick re-cap of answers already provided.  Use of videos and website links within Schoology allow us to initially view the content together and prevents the students from being overwhelmed with resources if they conducted their own web searches.  Students have paper workbooks available for some assignments, but these have also been loaded onto Schoology for later recall if needed.

Support:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLVtIUj2_VE

Technological Pedagogical Knowledge (TPK)

Describe:  Students will have access to all strategies presented to review as needed as they start to implement some new skills into their personal study strategies.  The discussion feature is also helpful in allowing students to continue conversations started in the face-to-face meetings and to also contribute in an online environment where they may not have felt comfortable or ready to contribute in face-to-face discussions.

Support:

Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK)

Describe:  The content, method of teaching and technology all work together to provide the students with multiple avenues to receive the content and explore ways that they will select study strategies and implement them.  Students will be able to receive the content through videos, access to websites and various group exercises and study sheets that will be given in hardcopy and available through Schoology.  Students will have the opportunity for face-to-face and online discussion to examine strategies and determine which study strategies they will implement in their classes.

Support:

2 thoughts on “TPACK Lesson-Captain

1. I’m right there with you on being so out of my comfort level! This has definitely been the hardest information to get through and understand. For what it’s worth, I feel that our lessons are fairly similar in the verbage and length. Short and to the point:) I need to now spend some time on my module. This is quite an introductory class!

2. This is a great start:

Content (C) – very clear. Study skills
    Pedagogy (P) – You list active and collaborative learning. From what I understand in your lesson description. Students will explore study skills from videos, links and workbooks (is that active learning?). They will then discuss with each other virtually and do group work (collaborative learning.
    Technology (T) – very clear. links, videos and discussion boards.(via LMS)

PCK – So this sub-domain reflects how the pedagogy and content “fit” together. You do a pretty good job on this explaining the value of discussion for thinking about study skills. You don’t mention though how the web links, video and workgroups work well with the content.

TCK – “The online format for discussion questions provides them with a more comfortable forum for initial sharing” This is good, TCK should discuss how the links, video, and workbooks, as well as the online discussion board are well suited to support learning about study skills.

TPK – This is pretty good too. Here you want to explain why the virtual disussion board (your technology) support collaborative learning (your pedagogy). You do this well – “The discussion feature is also helpful in allowing students to continue conversations started in the face-to-face meetings and to also contribute in an online environment where they may not have felt comfortable or ready to contribute in face-to-face discussions.” – You may want to address the digital video and web link usage and point out why that works with a chosen pedagogy. I think in general, you have students reading and watching digital resources, and that is another pedagogical element in your lesson.

TPACK – I think overall you do a really good job describing all the elements of the discussion piece of your lesson. And it all makes great sense, especially when you articulate how discussion is a good pedagogical fit for study skills.

Great job, let me know if you have any questions about my feedback