I thought for a few days on what I really wanted my primary text for this project to be. I went through lots of ideas involving apps, websites, and even games. I’m an undeclared major but I’m extremely interested in law-particularly civil/human rights. In relation to this, I started thinking about a big area of conversation that is present in the world today. The topic of police violence is talked about and heard extensively in the media and in society as a whole today.

I decided that my primary text would be “On-Officer Recording Systems,” also known as Body Cameras. These are small devices, as seen in the photo below, that stick onto the front of a police officers uniform. These aren’t used very largely as of now, but they are increasingly being used in police departments around the country. They are used to record and observe police officers’ interactions and confrontations with the public.

body cam

As I stated in the first paragraph, I’ve chosen to use this as my primary text because it’s something that is unique in our culture and society today. I also think its something that is important and its important to address and to talk about. I plan on conceptualizing the body cameras in a way that deals with the political, ethical, and technological aspects of them.

Photo Citation:

NYPD Officer Models a Body Camera at a Press Event on Thursday. N.d.WNDU.Com. Web. 17 Sept. 2015. <http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/Berrien-County-Police-looking-into-purchasing-body-cameras-284952691.html>.

6 comments

1. kessingerrg September 18, 2015 at 3:35 am

I was completely aware of police officers wearing body cameras until reading this blog post. It is cool to learn about new things and I’m sure they have become necessary in today’s society. It is great to see how much we are able to take advantage of the blossoming technological advancements. There is almost always controversy surrounding any crime scene. Thus, body cameras will resolve and eliminate a great deal of confusion surrounding the previously unknown aspects of criminal and police activity. Excellent topic!!!

2. kessingerrg September 18, 2015 at 3:35 am

unaware***

3. rynejs September 18, 2015 at 3:41 am

I like you topic! It’s a very controversial topic that should be analyzed. Perhaps you could relate it to the Constitution as well, whether it’s ethically right from the perspective of the national government (if they’re actually going to do anything about it too). Can’t wait to see what you do!

4. Mirna Shaban September 22, 2015 at 3:29 am

The topic you’ve chosen is incredibly interesting! Police brutality has been a prominent issue recently, and these body cameras are, in my opinion, such a necessary tool to spot police brutality and ensure an end to it. The body cameras provide an exact, unbiased account of every officer-civilian interaction so that there is no question as to what really happened. I’m curious to read about the political, ethical, and technological aspects of the body cameras in your project!

5. Allyson Biersack September 22, 2015 at 2:23 pm

The fact that you picked this form of technology at a time when the issue of enforcement and their interactions are being questioned was a really good move. I think in any human-based interaction where there are thousands of intricate laws, it is difficult to stay on guard when emotions tide your motives so this camera seems like it will reduce a lot of unnecessary police brutality.

6. RCales September 25, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Excellent! Wonderful text. When moving forward, be thinking about how you may want to parse the “political, ethical, and technological aspects of them.” What specifically is the issue here that you wish to give focus? How do these three aspects precisely cohere? Something to think about as you move forward. I’m excited to see where you take it!