As talked about in my “Texting My Dream” post, I have decided to study body cameras. Specifically, body cameras used in law enforcement. I’ve thought about many different elements of this text and different ways that I can approach it in terms of arguing its benefits. Before now, I didn’t really have any concrete ideas of what I would talk about in terms of the specifics of my text. I’ve decided to focus it more broadly on law enforcement as a whole and how it would affect them as well as us (meaning, the general public) as a whole. Body cameras are a pretty new technological advancement and they are also a big topic of discussion on the subject of police brutality, authority, and discretion/supervision.

Why is this text important? Why should someone study it? For starters, it doesn’t have much history. These cameras are a new source of surveillance. We can study the text as a way of analyzing its pros and cons in terms of many different categories. Is it ethical? How would people feel about having these cameras observing them? Would they feel safer? Would police officers behave more professionally? These are just a few of the many questions that should be asked as this text is observed and studied. This text is important because it is making history as we speak and it has the ability to make many changes in the process of law enforcement.

5 comments

1. October 7, 2015 at 1:40 am

This is a good topic to study. Given that body cameras are pretty hotly debated, and with all the police brutality that has been in the news lately, you’ll have lots of evidence to use for this. Nice choice.

2. spatel October 8, 2015 at 6:24 am

Great topic to look into! It’s definitely something that will affect the society and not only the police officers. Look forward to seeing how you study this further.

3. Emily October 8, 2015 at 9:19 pm

I think this is such an interesting topic to focus on, and it will definitely start some conversations which is awesome! I am interested to see what you come up with.

4. Allyson Biersack October 9, 2015 at 12:09 am

I really liked all the questions you added to your post because I understood the topic you chose but your questions kind of made me study it further.

5. Eddie Tindall October 9, 2015 at 2:16 am

I do think that body cameras are an important thing to study for historical purposes and to maybe help police and/or the general public in cases.