Double Consciousness

In our society it is hard to not let race play a factor in most situations that individuals are in. When discussing W.E.B DuBois theory of African American and double consciousness, it made me think of how many situations African Americans have to apply this theory every day. This theory explains the thought process of most Africans Americans but also can apply to any group or cluster of people. I agree the strongest example of double consciousness is with the daily life of an African Americans. It’s funny because when getting this topic for the blog, I noticed how I sometimes apply it to situations recently. When I was at work I brought up to my coworker my fraternity which is predominately black but does not exclude any minority and has members of all races. He asked me “Hey so can I come join your fraternity or will they not let me because I’m white”. There were other co-workers present and they started to laugh. Now I knew that he was not being malicious with it and was just trying to just get a laugh out of the crowd but the fact I had to analyze shows me how I embraced the theory itself. It is hard trying to look into the eyes of others but something that has evolved in our society to many groups or individuals.

2 thoughts on “Double Consciousness”

1. I’ve seen almost the same situation when one of my buddy’s was getting recruited to play baseball at a school where the majority of the team and school’s population was primarily black. Now my buddy was in no means a racist but he thought he might feel uncomfortable in that situation and decided on another school. However, in many other schools, baseball is dominated by white people, usually with maybe one or two black kids on the team with possibly a couple Hispanic players. This is where I feel African American’s, because of their double consciousness don’t feel like it would be a problem to be on a team with all white people. That they know they are a different race but also that they will a part of a team and that they will be viewed more as a teammate rather than the minority.

2. Hey Kenny,
    I would agree with your statement of fraternities and even sports team that African Americans use “second sight” to evaluate the situation they are presented and analyze how they’re suppose to react to situations. I mean you see it every day I would go with just fitting in to different social groups like preppy, country, thug etc. but its up to the person to react the way they want, people can’t always fall back on “well in the old days I use to be told to sit in the back of the bus” don’t get me wrong they expanded our rights but it’s also up the person to change society for themself (all about choices) but, I’m happy the world is changing for the better.