Filling my Toolbox (wk 6)

1. Douglas Engelbart, Augmenting Human Intellect, http://www.dougengelbart.org/pubs/augment-3906.html

2. Alan Kay and Adele Goldberg, Personal Dynamic Media, http://www.newmediareader.com/book_samples/nmr-26-kay.pdf

3.  Stephen Pierzchala, Whats the Future of Communication, http://thenextweb.com/media/2012/07/15/whats-the-future-of-communication-lets-ask-the-experts/

4. Ted Nelson,  From Computer Lib/ Dream Machines, http://www.newmediareader.com/book_samples/nmr-21-nelson.pdf

5. Mojmir Babacek, Unified Communications, http://www.finoit.com/blog/unified-communications/

6. Aaron Hammond, Only Time Will Tell If Human and Technology Become Inseparable, http://www.oswegonian.com/2011/04/28/only-time-will-tell-if-humanity-technology-become-inseparable/

7. Zack Lynch, Neurotechnology and Society (2010-2060), http://lifeboat.com/ex/neurotechnology.and.society

8. Michal Behar,  Can the Nervous System Be Hacked?,  http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/25/magazine/can-the-nervous-system-be-hacked.html?_r=1

Real Estate Search (wk 6)

Then, write a short blog post addressing where you intend to make a home for your Inquiry Project and why.  Key Question: What does your selected platform provide you to best create your Inquiry Project, and why?

After spending about 3 hours of viewing potential homes for my inquiry project, I have circled back to rampages.us. Mostly because I have already familiarized myself with the website settings, they satisfy how I will like to project my information, and it’s a comfortably easy website to use. My platform allow me to have every information, media, video, or image that will get my point across most clearly. In a path that is easy for viewers to follow. I do  not want my audience to become confused as to where to read next and rampages has helped me accomplish this.

Interior Design and Dreaming (wk 6)

What is typically understood about my topic is that neurotechnology will involve some form of nano chip being placed on your brain. But that is not the case, technology is another that enhance your situational circumstances and this can be achieved via more routes than a nano chip.

The biggest obstacle I have began to face with my project is that ambiguous idea of it. A large audience has not wrapped their mind around enhancing our existence via neurotechnology. It’s significant that we fix the problem because in order to accomplish this technology we must have support. And it will take the whole as a species to evolve. Although the research I have conduced suggest that the biggest problem will be first understanding how to connect the technology via mental systems if we do not understand a vast majority of the system to began.

What I believe people should embrace instead of the nano chip given   that a large audience has not wrapped their mind around enhancing our existence via neurotechnology we should consider what we know how to control and that is chemicals. So that neurotechnology will be a form of chemical reaction in the brain that enhance our evolution of existence.

I would like to focus on how the technology will effect our learning, communication, and depths of knowledge (conscious/unconscious (dreams)/mind).

Project Prospectus (wk 5)

My observation has been broadened since I have begun my project in Neurotechnology. The most interesting information is about dreaming. Mostly because it is believed to allow us to live out anything imaginable. Psychologist and Neuroscientist are the focal attributes to what information we have of dreaming so far. It’s intriguing to believe someday we will enhance neurotechnology to discover the meaning of many parts of the brain we do not understand.

My latest discovery in research is that scientist still do not understand where dream formation began nor what area of the brain controls it. Well whom else can control dreaming than the brain?

I wonder how long it will take to discover the full meaning/potential of the brain. What I believe to be significantly intriguing is that possibly our brain has  depths of the universe, where as astronomers are consistently discovering new planets mostly through technology not direct contact i believe we will have to take the same approach with neurotechnology to understand our brain uncovered depths.

What I would like to show through my complete investigation is the potential that neurotechnology can uncover. How the technology will advance us and evolve our existence.

What Will I Dream (wk 1)

I enjoy my dreams, but the are often so broadly creative that it is difficult to describe them. What I love about the web is if you can’t express something clearly you have visual aids like videos that could translate exactly what you are thinking to a lot of people. The web is exciting because it is human to connect and programs such as twitter, Facebook, and other social media allow us to connect with one another faster. No No No!

Look Thinking in the eye (week 1)

My thinking process in two directions. Given the stimuli is interesting or uninteresting my reaction will differ. Most often I enjoy the flow of connections that create an idea that I would enjoy translating (via 5 senses). To grow more connections or enhancement in every  is the   admit sometimes I can not connect my thoughts to the appropriate word which then create a confusion or misunderstood translations. My general goal is to understand my thought process and I believe technology can help!

First Annual State of the Blog Address (wk 5)

My Fellow Americans,

The state in which my project currently reside is to follow the path of Neurotechnology with a focus toward medical/health advancements. Within the first couple of weeks my focus of research was toward Neurotechnology’s influence between human communication. The idea of Neurotechnology enhancing the style of communication an individual expressed to another was my focus within the third week. Within the fourth week  I stumbled open an article that uncovered Neurotechnology sending electric pulse(s) from the brain to heal an area of the body that is unhealthy rather physically or mentally I find to be incredible. Therefore my project has evolved into the concentration of Neurotechnology and healing. I question that if Neurotechnology were a focus within the medical field, would the health professional be projected as the healer or would the technology control the health professional and the device itself be viewed as the healer.

My research in focus of medical Neurotechnology has been a breeze, it seems biomedical engineers have been working on an advanced piece of Neurotechnology since the 90’s and that it’s progress has been revolutional.

To close, I would like to thank Professor Coats, for his advise. In our conference we discussed what information would benefit my project description. He also guided me to the path of medical Neurotechnology with the example he gave of ‘he and his wife visit to the doctor. His wife was pregnant and they went to have a sonograph of the child . Coasts described there was a Sonographer and a Sonographist, the difference is the Sonographer controlled the imaging machine, translated the information to the Sonographist and the Sonographist translated the information to Mr. and Mrs. Coats. I found this appealing because the monographer had to study the machine which translate information into codes (another form of language) that health professionals will have to learn as Neurotechnology continue to progress.

Tweet Reflection (week 4)

It is incredible to communicate. Especially from the comfort of your home. Twitter is an efficient way to broadcast your ideas as that come to mind. The process is simple which is my favorite quality. I have learned that my peers have a wide variety of inquiry topics which is really motivating because we can still experience a discussion of different topics in one place vs. searching the web for information.  I believe having an understanding of your main interest from different angles and from other personal perspectives is the art of learning.

Helen, is interested in technology and communication as I am. Her focus is toward robotics. I feel our inquiry projects connect because robotics is a form of engineering yet still use technology and communication. We are both interested in understanding if neurotechnology will control robotics.

Panning for Nuggets (Wk 4)

Nugget 1: This McNugget is so interesting because it proves in a way that technology is advancing. Scientist has told the public for many years that artificial neuro systems could not be implanted. Having a brainstem implant (which is the area that transmit information to the brain) is a major successful, this nugget keeps me hopeful for future neurotechnology.

Nugget 2: Brain to Brain connects to my above post of the brain stem implant because I assume within future technology a small chip or molecular piece could inhibit the brain stem which is the stem that transmit information to the brain and from the brain to the body. More over the article  discuss the pros and cons of this advancement also the tedious work behind the engineering process.

Nugget 3: My above nuggets all interconnect with this nugget, which describe mind to mind communication. It’s interesting to think of how mind to mind gaming will evolve, the article describe the benefits that medicine will uncover with neurotechnology in which a signal that is induced from the doctor to the area that needs to be improved cured  will be light work vs surgery and the healing  process will happen naturally.

Portable Engelbart (wk 4)

Both Nuggets I have chosen are from

Chapter II, “Conceptual Framework,” parts A (“General”) and B (“The Basic Perspective”)

1. Normonique Williams: “Language–the way in which the individual parcels out the picture of his world into the concepts that his mind uses to model that world, and the symbols that he attaches to those concepts and uses in consciously manipulating the concepts (“thinking”).” II, Part A

My Paraphrase: Learning is in the form of communication. Neurotechnology has the potential to enhance our personal communication inside and outside (how we interpret) our body.

2. Mariah Kahn: (general) “The individual does not use this information and this processing to grapple directly with the sort of complex situation in which we seek to give him help. He uses his innate capabilities in a rather more indirect fashion, since the situation is generally too complex to yield directly to his motor actions, and always too complex to yield comprehensions and solutions from direct sensory inspection and use of basic cognitive capabilities. For instance, an aborigine who possesses all of our basic sensory-mental-motor capabilities, but does not possess our background of indirect knowledge and procedure, cannot organize the proper direct actions necessary to drive a car through traffic, request a book from the library, call a committee meeting to discuss a tentative plan, call someone on the telephone, or compose a letter on the typewriter.”

My Paraphrase: Technology and human can never be at one because technology does not have the capability to transform human stimulus/reaction system not interpret the communication purely.

I chose to elaborate on Kahn’s nugget because it connects to my topic of Neurotechnology indirectly. I believe Kahn argument is that technology and human can never be one because technology is not the same as the human.  Which will lead to misinterpreted information. While my argument is that learning is formed from communication, in which Neurotechnology can advance communication if there is a bond directly from the brain, for instance mind to mind.