Nugget, Week 4 (Ted Nelson)

Third-Eye

Week 4 Nugget   “For every dream, many details and intricacies have to be whittled and interlocked. Their joint ramifications must be deeply understood by the person who is trying to create whatever-it-is. Each confabulation of possibilities turns out to have the most intricate and exactly detailed results. (This is why I am so irritated by those who think “electronic media” are all alike.)” Pg. 306 Ted Nelson, Computer Lib/Dream Machines. The meaning behind the text is astounding. I see it as an unlimited introduction to a new style of communication. As I proposed in my Dreamer’s Unite blog, technology is allowing people to connect on a broad level. The field of Neurotechnology demonstrate how technology and our mind(brain) is creating a new style of communication. In which everyone has to learn the language to communicate/ engage. This language of Neurotechnology captures my interest because from the passage ‘For every dream many details and intricacies have to be whittled and interlocked.’ Nelson argue that computers will allow people to have a deeper form of communication. What I bottled from this quote is the future ideam of Neurotechnology tapping into the dream world. I believe in the future however far it may be, that people will discover a way to connect with a person’s third eye (their mind). As I dig deeper into this idea it’s terrifying to think how this source of communication can be used for destruction but even more amazingly communication will be untouched, pure. People would not have to translate their ideas/thoughts into language to communicate it would be the action of Neurotechnology that handle this process. As most, understand dreams are our hidden motives, our deep feelings in which we may never allow to surface into communication (or don’t know how) and some dreams are the cause of an individual style of communication and personality. Nelson, goes on to say ‘Their joint ramifications must be deeply understood by the person who is trying to create whatever-it-is.’ I interpret this as, although many individuals have not mastered the art of communicating through technology and creating/proposing the same idea they began with, somewhere through technology the initial message lose value while being translated. This is definitely a con of technology in which I believe Neurotechnology will translate communication clearly, without adaptions, but purely from the sources’ mind.

EDIT

1.  Kahn, blog was very interesting, I love the expression used ‘ Knowledge is power, so it tends to be hoarded.’ I agree with Kahn on the concept that someone whom is not educated of a topic can teach themselves’ within minutes.

2. Helena and I have contrasting ideas that computers are inhumane,  while I believe if technology/computers are built to aid in humane interactions with one another rather than with the computer/technology itself, it will become humane.

3. Jawad and I agree tremendously that technology can surface a humans’ dream. Jawad make an interesting approach that technology was formed on the basis of human being able to interpret/communicate it’s dreams and fantasies.