Transferring in credits

Q: How many credit hours am I allowed to transfer into VCU from another institution?

A. According to the Undergraduate Bulletin, you may transfer a maximum of 64 semester hours of credit from two-year institutions and up to 90 credit hours from 4-year colleges and universities. University policy requires Degree candidates to complete at least 25 percent of the credit semester hours required for their bachelor’s degree program at VCU, including at least 30 of the last 45 credits. During a student’s last 45 credits at VCU, transfer credits attempted elsewhere must be approved in advance by the appropriate school dean, department chair, or program head via the “Request to Take Courses at Another Institution” form, available online at Bring this completed form to your HPEX advisor.

Q: I took a heath, physical education, exercise science, or nutrition course at another institution. It transferred in as HPEX 1XX or HPEX 2XX. Can I have this changed to reflect an equivalent VCU HPEX course?

A: As a general rule, HPEX courses taken at another institution are brought in as VCU elective credits. Although courses may have similar titles or subject matter, the level of instruction or depth of topic may vary widely from program to program, school to school. If you are bringing in a lot of HPEX 1XX, 2XX, or 3XX courses, or if believe one or more courses taken at a previous institution are equivalent to HPEX courses here at VCU, the courses may be evaluated by the department on a case-by-case basis. Please talk with your academic adviser who can help you get started with the process.

Q: I was just admitted to VCU and my major is Health, Physical Education, and Exercise Science. How do I register for classes and what to register for?

A: Congratulations and welcome to VCU! Please be on the lookout for information from VCU Admissions and New Student Programs. All transfer students should attend a New Student Orientation, where you will meet your academic adviser, learn about the department and program, and register for classes. More information can be found here:

Academic Advising

Privacy Statement