Victoracle

VicLit UNcommonplace book

A Tale of Two Sons: Caliban and Proteus

Caliban: Caliban from Shakespeare’s The Tempest was a feral, sullen, misshapen creature. He is the son of a witch/sorceress (parallel to Frankenstein’s unorthodox use of natural elements to “create” his “son”). He is the sole inhabitant of his island. Frankenstein’s… Continue Reading →

What do we do with our past mistakes and regrets? 

All of the characters are fighting their own demons, their past choices and actions that haunt them in their present. Just as Britain’s past activities haunt Britain’s present (relatable to America as well) such as her rabid colonialism the raping… Continue Reading →

Dorian Gray “I never say no.” 

He constantly seeks sensation and excess much as Britain has done through it’s rampant colonialism (“The sun never sets on the British Empire.”) Britain never says no…it doesn’t stop. Later when Vanessa Ives must break off her budding relationship with… Continue Reading →

The DEMIMONDE

I really liked the recurring theme of this in-between place, where you don’t belong to either side. Frankenstein believes in a place between heaven and hell, between life and death. Vanessa refers to it as a place “between what we… Continue Reading →

When People Say They Don’t Like Horror

Vladislav….Sorry Not Sorry

Jonathan Harker Spams Mina While Waiting for a Train in Budapest

Dear Mina, You Deserved Better

I only have a few moments but just want to do a quick post to say that I feel like Mina is just so relatable. Moreso than Lucy. I really enjoy her personal interest in learning new things, memorizing train… Continue Reading →

Is it just me or…

Are these “brave” “strong” “smart” men incalculably dumb??? Is the over emphasis of delicate femininity to be Protected At All Costs and the overemphasis of Courageous Manly Manhood all…like a satire? It borders on the ridiculous which makes me wonder,… Continue Reading →

Unpunctual Trains and Leaving Civilization OR Jonathan Harker Hates Amtrak

“It seems to me that the further East you go the more unpunctual are the trains. What ought they to be in China?” –Jonathan Harker’s remarks after rushing to a station to be there on time only to have to… Continue Reading →

Mr. Pip (film) 10/10 Would Recommend! (free on Amazon Prime if you’re a Prime Member)

This movie was a fantastic adaptation of the novel, Mister Pip, by Lloyd Jones.  The way that Matilda interprets Great Expectations through her own experiences is imaginatively and wonderfully portrayed and adds a whole fresh dimension to the story. It also… Continue Reading →

Mister Pip and Colonialism

Ok so I love that the story is in the Pacific. (note to self to look up the civil war they fought on the island soon.) The effect and impact of colonialism is inescapable. The mission/church signals the colonial religious… Continue Reading →

A Young Man who can get to a boy’s Heart and Liver

“There’s a young man hid with me, in comparison with which young man I am a Angel. That young man hears the words I speak. That young man has a secret way pecooliar to himself, of getting at a boy,… Continue Reading →

Ain’t no party like…

Pip and Two Sources of Corruption

In chapters I-XV, Pip is met with two very different sources of corruption, the convict, and Ms. Havisham. One corrupts in action and riddles Pip with guilt and anxiety of being found out, the other fills Pip with shame and… Continue Reading →

Heathcliff and the Monstrous

One thing that stands out to me about Heathcliff is his introduction to the household. He’s a foundling off the streets of Liverpool. He has no parents. No origin. When he arrives he is nameless, an “it,” a “thing.” Things… Continue Reading →

Women on the Nile in the “Golden Age” of Travel

There is a talk tonight about the experience of Victorian Women travelling abroad. As this was a focus of Cambridge, I thought it would be fun to pass it along. You can livestream the chat tonight, or play it if… Continue Reading →

An old Heathcliff?!

One of the surprising choices Arnold made was aging up the characters. In the film, Heathcliff arrives to the Earnshaws as an adolescent.     In the novel, Heathcliff fits under Mr. Earnshaw’s great coat. He’s described as “old enough… Continue Reading →

Andrea Arnold’s Wuthering Heights- A Heathcliff POV

Andrea Arnold’s Wuthering Heights is a unique take on the book. As an adaptation, she makes some daring choices, such as with the 4:3 aspect ratio, minimal dialogue, shaky hand-held camera, extreme close-ups, motion blurred shots, out of focus shots,… Continue Reading →

« Older posts

© 2020 Victoracle — Powered by WordPress

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑