Blog Post: Week 7

In this week’s reading, the author focuses on the methods for gaining literacy skills while also fostering imaginative, creative, and critical thinking skills. How are art forms a kind of language?  In your opinion, what is the best mode for “playing with language”?  What is your preferred way to learn new language skills?  How can you adapt an art form to teach literacy while still adhering to a specific SOL?

It’s a common misunderstanding that art is only drawing and painting. There are many forms of art from singing, songwriting, dancing, poetry, creative writing, photography, etc. All these forms of art are used to draw emotion and convey a message. This is language. The medium the artists chooses to use gives us a whole new language to explore. There may not always be an obvious message that we are to see, but art allows us to interpret our own meaning of the what the author is trying to say. This broadens our horizons as educators, because we can show our students different things that convey the same message, but speaks to each student differently.

The best way to play with language, in my opinion, is poetry. There are so many hidden meanings behind the simplest of sentences. I remember being in school and having to figure out what the writer meant by certain phrases they chose to use and how they chose to write them. Poetry brings the abstract to reality.

I love to learn new skills by exploring my own writing skills. I am a very obvious person, so using a written language helps me understand new ways of learning language. I enjoy using different words in different contexts to convey a message to my reader that may be open to interpretation. Writing is one of the only forms of art that I consider myself to be good at, so I try to stick with what I know.

Poetry is a wonderful way to teach literacy while still adhering to a specific SOL. Poetry in itself is an SOL that has to be hit in the English department, but it can also be used in many other subject areas. Poems are often so rhythmic that it reminds students of music. The sing-song-ness of poems help students retain the information, while being taught a literacy skill simultaneously.

One Comment

1. Poetry is a great way to learn about literacy. It is taking something, writing which is a skill most students should be familiar with and taking it to another level. Poetry allows each student to interpret it differently and I love that about it.