Activity Week 9

1.  How did this documentary make you feel?
  2.  How will you reach all of your students?  Do you think art integration can play a role in bridging different socio-economic divides in the classroom?
  3.  Was there anything shocking about this documentary to you?

This documentary made me feel awful for the students in that school. My heart hurt as soon as they started talking about the gang violence surrounding the school, and the amount of students who had WITNESSED someone die from the violence was disgusting. It made me question my stances on something like Prop 187, and I couldn’t wrap my head around the idea of a teacher not wanting to teach certain children. I think the best way to reach all my children is to strip away the soci0-economic divides in the classroom. I’m not going to assign homework that will require the use of an iPad or even a laptop. It’s not fair to assume that every student will have access to such technology outside of my classroom. I think art integration could definitely help in the classroom. More than likely, no matter what your background is, you can relate to music. I think using music in the classroom would do wonders if I had a setting like the one at Hoover. I could teach material, students could write a song about it in their native language, and then work together to translate. The most shocking part of this documentary was definitely Diane’s story. She tried to redeem herself with the second interview, but the damage was already done. Her positions and statements made it very clear how prejudice she was. She made the comment about being the best teacher for her students, and I think compassion plays a big role in being a good teacher. Just because she knew the curriculum better than other teachers didn’t make her the best there was. The reason it was shocking was because I know I will be working with teachers just like her someday. While they may not be very vocal about their stances, I know they will exist.

I think this picture definitely relates to the video, because it’s essentially the same fight with little progress. Students are still afraid to be ripped out of their schools and deported to a country that might have never been home to begin with. They are trying to better themselves just like they were in 1994 when Prop 187 was introduced.

Be First to Comment