Electromagnets need electricity to work!
A loudspeaker uses an electromagnet and a magnet to make sound. To make this work, use a nail electromagnet and a plastic cup to hear sound from a radio!
- Push the nail of your electromagnet into the bottom of a plastic cup.
- Clip the ends of the wire to the radio connections
- Do you hear anything inside the cup?
- Hold the magnet over your nail electromagnet
- Now do you hear anything inside the cup? Louder?
Purpose: Show that electricity can make things magnetic, and they are used in everyday activities!
Introduce: Wouldn’t use as an introduction to magnets, but rather a follow up once students are familiar with magnets.
Difficulties: Making sure the radio is hooked up correctly
Changes: Using paper to make a speaker