Blog Week 2

INDIVIDUAL TPACK LESSON

SOL ADDRESSED: 3.8 The student will determine, by counting, the value of a collection of bills and coins whose total value is $5.00 or less, compare the value of the bills and coins, and make change.

TECHNOLOGY: Fake paper bills and plastic coins will be used to compare values and understand making change for values $5 or less. Worksheets where students have to shade in correct change for word problems will be used to check for understanding.

CONTENT: Students must understand the value that each bill and coin holds. Concepts of addition and subtraction will be used when making change.

PEDAGOGY: Students will be taught the values of the bills and coins as a class. Students will then work in small groups or pairs to complete worksheets where they are required to shade in the correct change required for the word problems given.

These work together by allowing students hands on materials for better understanding. The concept of money isn’t something that comes easy to a lot of students, so to have them work in small groups or pairs allows them to check for understanding with a classmate. Students will be more willing to ask another student a question for clarification than raise their hand for independent work.

1. Emily Blocker Emily Blocker

One thing that I think students will struggle with when it comes to making change is that the amount owed then flips to change. For example if something I buy is 1.08 and I give the cashier 2.00, he or she will have to then give me back 0.92, I think the best way to help students is to practice. A good way to do this is possibly set up a little store and have the students practice being the shopper and cashier so they can practice making change. Any way to help the students practice is awesome. Overall, great ideas!

• That’s exactly what I was thinking! I think it would be super cool to have students collect “money” throughout the semester for doing an awesome job, and then using it to purchase items from a “store” in the classroom. This allows exposure all year, and the content will be familiar.

2. Great post! I think a real misconception that can come into play with this activity is the students not wanting to use all the types of change. For example a change of $.85, a student would be more willing to give someone eight dimes and a nickel as opposed to attempting to use quarters. I believe by reducing what is given to them in ways of options it almost forces a brainteaser like situation where they have to figure out the answer with what they have. Overall this is a tough lesson as it has so many parts so your ideas were great.

• Absolutely. I think these brainteasers work well for warm up worksheets. My teachers always had one on the board in the morning. It allows for good review and critical thinking in the class.

3. Dallas Stevens Dallas Stevens

I loved learning about money in schools! I agree with Emily, having a “store” would be really helpful and you could even have the students choose the prices for the items for your “store”.

• Your comment about the brownies really struck an idea with me. I could set up a mini grocery store in the class, and give students a shopping list with ingredients for pizza. (even lunchables) Students will have to purchase these items with fake money and give correct change. Once they have all the ingredients, they can make their own pizza.