Weekly Blog 7

Class join code: uim9hs

Objective: Given several tools in Google Classroom, the student will be able to correctly label 4/7 parts of the plant.

Content: 

SOL: 4.4 The student will investigate and understand basic plant anatomy and life processes. Key concepts include
a) the structures of typical plants and the function of each structure;

The purpose of this lesson is to familiarize students with parts of the plant and their functions.

Misconceptions: Students may think every plant has to be a flower as they know it, and may not understand that fruits are also plants.

Pedagogy:

Students will use online tools provided to become familiar with parts of the plant. Students will be able to show their understanding by responding to a discussion prompt.

Technology:

Videos from LearnEnglish and ScienceKids

Discussion board and activities on Google Classroom

PCK:

The pedagogy supports the content, because it allows the students to introduce themselves to material that will become more detailed in a whole group setting.

TPK:

The technology supports the pedagogy, because the videos give the students the information they need to respond to a discussion prompt.

TCK:

The technology supports the content, because the information needed can be accessed through the videos. The discussion prompt allows students to show their understanding.

1. Hey Samantha!

I enjoyed doing your assignment. The song was fun and is now forever stuck in my head. I think the song was the main source of pedagogy but not really addressed in the outline. Songs are helping make the content familiar to the students and then making it possible for them to complete the online games and assessment. Overall, great assignment. it was fun, interactive, and I actually learned a new thing or two (see my comment on the discussion prompt.)

Keith

2. Hi!
    Your game was really fun, it took me a few times to get the hang of it and get my plant to grow. The technology in the game also supports the content by helping the students have an interactive way to see a plant grow quickly, instead of in real life having to wait weeks at a time to see a result. Good lesson!

3. Hi Sam!

I really loved the game, it was super cute. My only suggestion to better your assignment is to make a separate discussion post by making a ‘question’. If they leave a comment in the way it is set up now, it’s just a private comment that only you can see so they’re not able to discuss with each other.