Riots and refugees chats on Twitter

Both articles seemed to analyze how conversations embedded in Twitter hashtags facilitate the connection action framework in political organizing, or digital citizen participation. Researchers Pond and Lewis demonstrated that social media make it easier to network and build relationships with other political activists. Using Twitter discourse analysis of the 2011 UK riots, the researchers looked… Continue reading Riots and refugees chats on Twitter

Content analysis of rape culture responses on digital media

What is the researcher trying to accomplish? Where do they get their data? From posts to the online anti-street harassment website Hollaback!; experiences of using the Twitter hashtag #BeenRapedNeverReported; and teen feminists’ use of social media platforms to challenge rape culture in and around schools. What are their findings? 1) On Hollaback!, anonymous posts that… Continue reading Content analysis of rape culture responses on digital media

Ethics, Shmethics

As stated and illustrated on pages 2 and 3 of Rice’s paper, “despite playing an integral role in the creation of the Nuremberg code, the United States federal government still had only a very minor role in regulating research, until as recently as 1950.” If you look at the timeline, you’ll see that these “studies”… Continue reading Ethics, Shmethics

Week three discussion

In reading the three articles, I discovered that the researchers used surveying and content analyses for their methodologies. The two that used content analyses, “#notracist: Exploring racism denial talk on Twitter” and “Keeping it in “the family”: How Gender Norms Shape U.S. Marriage Migration Politics” used different approaches to ground the research and synthesize the… Continue reading Week three discussion

As a marketing and communications practitioner, this is my first foray in sociology. When presented with the question of digital sociology, my knee-jerk, pre-article reading response was “the study of sociology using digital tools and methods.” After reading this week’s texts, It’s funny how my knee-jerk response is, sadly, what would be said by many seasoned sociologists.

In Dr. Longo’s video lecture, she stated that digital sociology studies how these digital spaces and mechanisms create and perpetuate “the social inequalities and hierarchies seen across race, gender, class, society,” etc. That was the moment of clarity for me, and I immediately understood it. As I dug into the readings, I couldn’t get how those seasoned sociologists ignored or rejected this notion, but reflecting on how people tend to “fetishize” real life over digital technology (Barnard), I got it: academics are just as likely to reject the impact and validity of digital as laypeople. It’s my belief that this fetishization, conversely, is why big data is so obtrusive: Nearly any and every moment of real life has been mirrored online or facilitated by digital devices. And nearly every digital interaction has some form of gatekeeping that requires you to enter personal information that is, in turn, sold, shared and exploited.

To me, that is the simple line between digital sociology and big data. Digital sociology looks at where individual and society converges/diverges in digital spaces through practice; analysis and critique (Barnard). Side note: though the digital realm has presented new ways to study and analyze individual and society, I think it has also compounded many societal issues. Big data is an output or byproduct of the digital realm with which sociology is concerned. As stated in the text, big data has disrupted the epistemological status quo in sociology by making traditional research methods inadequate, and that is one of the key issues that sociologists must reconcile (Gregory, McMillan Cottom, Daniels). Another side note: the text gave great examples of how researchers combined digital tools (eg. discussion boards, geocaching) and traditional methods to generate richer data.

It’s me, Latryce!

Hi, everyone! My name is Latryce Noel (she/her) and I’m from Petersburg, Virginia. I’m a first-year doctoral student in the MATX program, and my research interests involve the impact that media and advertising could have on minorities in outdoor recreation. I’m also interested in minority attitudes on outdoor recreational media. I have HTML and CSS… Continue reading It’s me, Latryce!

Hello world!

Welcome to Rampages.us. This is your first post. Does it make you sad you didn’t write it? You can change that. Write something better. Change the world. You are lucky enough to be in a position to do that. Make the most of it.