06.27 Blog Post #3: Myers-Briggs Test Indicator

Although Mayor LeVar Stoney’s Teacher Advisory Council (MTAC) consists of 25 members, the scenario outlined in Blog Post #2 mainly consisted of three members: Kieasha, myself, and Josh (who I call ‘Joshy’).  Although Joshy is more minor than major because he bowed out of the scenario before offering his resolution, I will focus on the three of us solely in this current blog post entry. … Continue reading 06.27 Blog Post #3: Myers-Briggs Test Indicator

04.30: Because of Sex, Sure, But Why Should I Care?

I promise you, I AM a feminist. I believe in the freedom to live and of choice for anyone, but ESPECIALLY for women because we have been oppressed throughout the ages in every way.  We deserve ALL of the grace!   However, I am also individualistic; I don’t feel the need to be like everyone else–rather, I like to stand out and go against the grain.  … Continue reading 04.30: Because of Sex, Sure, But Why Should I Care?

04.02 EDLP 704: Habeas Data–What About the Privacy Of Those Who Teach?

Habeas Data is probably my favorite of the four texts that I had to read for Law class. I like the narrative style with which the author used to make his points and it caused me to be –not paranoid, per se –but very aware of the fact that I have no idea if I am protected adequately as an educator. During our in-class discussion, … Continue reading 04.02 EDLP 704: Habeas Data–What About the Privacy Of Those Who Teach?

03.19 EDLP 704: Segregation & Racial Disproportionality Within Schools

These last couple of weeks, we’ve discussed (among other things) between-school segregation. But, as it came up in the VoiceThread discussion, what about WITHIN-school segregation?                                                    What about the racial disproportionality in gifted and talented programs?           … Continue reading 03.19 EDLP 704: Segregation & Racial Disproportionality Within Schools

02.05: EDLP 704–The Beginning, Am I An Outlaw Who Creates Law?

For teachers, policies are usually created for us to follow. We are told who to teach, what to teach, and how to teach; a deviation from normal procedures or lack of conformity and one is considered a “problem”, or insubordinate. Teachers are the scapegoats of education. Let us be real. If a child is not learning, the teacher is not differentiating lessons enough; if a … Continue reading 02.05: EDLP 704–The Beginning, Am I An Outlaw Who Creates Law?

06.15 Blog #2: Two-Part Team Scenario

The Scenario: In May of 2018, a colleague of mine, Brionna Nomi, approached Mayor LeVar Stoney at an event and spoke of her frustrations regarding education in Richmond.  She asked him if he would be interested in creating a teacher council to keep him informed on what issues belied Richmond Public Schools and possibly come up with solutions that will resolve them. He agreed and … Continue reading 06.15 Blog #2: Two-Part Team Scenario

07.18 BLOG POST #5: Conflict Resolution and the TKI

Results When I initially read my scores and characteristics from taking the Thomas Kilman Conflict Mode Instrument (TKI) (2020), I felt ashamed! Who wants to be labeled “competitive” and score in the category four percent away from 100%?  However, when I read the traits of a competing leader, my feelings switched and I felt a little bit better about the assessment.   I embraced it. … Continue reading 07.18 BLOG POST #5: Conflict Resolution and the TKI

07.08 Blog Post #4: Building Effective Teams

Out of all of the reading and video content offered this unit, Amy Edmondson’s How to Turn a Group of Strangers into a Team TED Talk and scenario two in Kahn’s The Student’s Guide to Successful Project Teams resonated most with me and I enjoyed taking in the ideas put forth throughout both. Edmondson’s view on (a new vocabulary word), ‘teaming‘ distinguishes teamwork from collaboration as it … Continue reading 07.08 Blog Post #4: Building Effective Teams