Imperatively Coordianted Associations and Dahrendorf

Ralf Dahrendorf’s theory talks about how conflict is normal, but it is rooted in social structures not nature as Coser argues. In power the distribution, power is used to maintain social order. Dahrendorf discusses different topics, but one that discusses power of authority is the relationships amongst those in power is “imperatively coordinated associations”. This was a cornerstone for Dahrendorf and discusses how those in power relate and overlap so they construct their ideas shape the social order. One example of this is when you look at media and who runs it. The people in power relate to one another and the jobs of each overlap which determines what we see and how we perceive different things. They determine what is being aired, how different genders and races are depicted and what makes headlines and what doesn’t. They can alter things for the viewings of their audience and depict things as they want. It seems as though they appeal to the likings of some and allow us to see and hear what they want us to which thickens the stereotypes and views that we place on each group and forces us to see things through the eyes of them.

People in positions of power/authority normally all relate and to one another and influence each other greatly as well as the consumers. Most of them are always normally entangled and communicate with each other. People in higher positions shape how our society views things and plays a huge role in our social order.

3 thoughts on “Imperatively Coordianted Associations and Dahrendorf”

1. I have a lot of friends who work in television and film, and they will tell you – they’ve certainly told me – first-hand how you have to play “the game” to really get anywhere in the field. By “the game” they mean write scripts and plays that really don’t dig deep, raise big questions, provoke thought, and so on, though it’s not like you need them to tell you. It is pretty apparent. Shit, there’s entire blogs dedicated to gif’s and memes about how insipid Hollywood writing can be.

Is the idea that the average person is just too stupid or busy to be bothered with a quality narrative, or is it that we’re intentionally keeping people “dumb” to some extent? I’m obviously drawing a lot of generalizations with that comment, but the direction it heads in is something worth talking about, I think. What is the real interest in producing monotonous, thoughtless shows and films, again and again? Whose interest is on display there? I think these are all questions that speak to Dahrendorf’s idea of imperatively coordinated associations.

2. I think you did a really nice job of pulling everything together. I agree with you in how everything overlaps and how the owners of media and all of these other systems work together. In regards to your question, I feel like we are all being kept dumb, but at the same time we allow it. However, we are all just too lazy to actually change something. It is sad, To me everything seems to me like one giant catch 22 with the people on top controlling ways to keep us dumb.

3. I really liked how you related this topic to the everyday person. Whether it’s media on tv or our smart phones or the internet, it seems like it always being manipulated. So many stereotypes come from outside media instead of the actual source itself. I think anyone who goes against the norm is shut down quickly by people who are in “higher positions.” Sure it is risky, but what good comes from wearing blinders, that just makes everyone naive. I feel as if the people making these decisions are assuming what we can and cannot handle as a society.