Reflect x5

The interview I did was with my classmate Michael and we it was conducted via Google Docs.

(Me): As you reflect on these last 4 to 5 weeks’ of course work, which one(s) of the Artful Thinking and/or Tishman, Jay & Perkins’ Model of thinking dispositions were you most aware of developing in your own learning?

(Michael): I would have to say that out of the dispositions that I read about, to seek and offer reasons would be one I was well aware of developing, as well as flexibility. As a writer I was not as flexible as I should be but I can see that now I’m more comfortable stretching my boundaries and pushing how I write. The make in which we picked 10 photos was also very revealing to me about how my disposition on being open minded has developed. I saw photos and art pieces that I wanted to be labeled in my blog as being fun but some I would’ve never looked at it in that context a few weeks ago, so that is a pretty obvious development.

(Me): What thinking routines were you most aware of using to monitor your development of thinking dispositions? Or which ones would you like to use more often to improve your thinking?

(Michael): If I were to say one that I knew I was using, it would be “what makes you say that” and that is because I would read something or see something and build from that point on because of the situation I have encountered in this course so far are new to me. One I would like to work on would have to be ” see think wonder” and that is mainly because it puts emphasis on making clear and careful observations. This is something I have had trouble with growing up and still have today, so I would def like to use that routine more often to improve my awareness.

(Me): Which thinking disposition will you focus on as you begin your next project in this course and in your daily life?

(Michael): I would like to use the disposition toward wondering, problem finding and investigating because I feel this could help with my awareness of situations but at the same time fuel the want to observe and learn.

(Me): As you think about your future, how might what you’ve been learning be used as a guide in your life?

(Michael): What I have learned so far has made me more open and creative which can guide me to being more open minded to a new range of ideas and opportunities. I would hope that having a better understanding of how to articulate my words so that others can understand where I am coming from can have a drastic effect on how people react to me, because to be honest sometimes how I come across is not how I am actually feeling and I think that one of the most important things that I can take away from this course. Also of course it can help me understand the point of view of some one else which works the same way.

2 thoughts on “Reflect x5

1. Michael, it’s good to know that you “get” the distinction between thinking dispositions and thinking routines! It’s heartening to note that you’ve learned quite a bit that I hope is transferable to multiple contexts in your life. The words you use are definitely important and be more mindful of your written words. Your sentences tend to run a bit long…E.g. this sentence:

I would hope that having a better understanding of how to articulate my words so that others can understand where I am coming from can have a drastic effect on how people react to me, because to be honest sometimes how I come across is not how I am actually feeling and I think that one of the most important things that I can take away from this course.