Final Post on Final Project

check-304214_960_720

On my final project, I have created a module lesson on perspective. I used the idea of whether or not the Transcontinental Railroad was positive or negative force dependent on the perspective of the groups of individuals who were involved or affected by the construction of the project. My objective is to get the students to analyze the different groups and determine whether it was good or bad based on their experiences because of the construction of such a major transportation advance for the country.

I feel like it is a well-thought out process and adds value and deeper learning as a lesson for seventh graders. There are some glitches, but I hope to be able to become more tech savvy and figure out how to fix them. I would like to try this module with my classes next year. I will incorporate some modifications for low readers such as collaboration for the reading over the notes and getting the notes written. We already work on writing as an activity that we are carrying out to offer more writing practice to assist the English department.

I have learned how to do things on schoology I didn’t know before, thanks to our ITRT, Michelle Martin. She taught me how to make things move smoother from one assignment to another. She didn’t do it for me, but taught me how, so I feel like I can do it on my own. I may need help, but as I teach my students, if you don’t know, ask. I have received feedback and very helpful suggestions from my colleagues which is always greatly appreciated. Thank you for your constructive suggestions and support that I was on the right track.

How would I grade this? Or, how do I want this to be graded for the class? If I were Monty, would check to be sure that the directions are clear and concise. I would want to be sure that the links work. I would also hope that it meet the objective that was intended. It was a lot of work. If I, myself, was grading it, I would like to hope that I would be harder on myself that someone else would. But hey, isn’t that person’s hopes when they turn in a graded assignment? Seriously, I would like it to be graded on effort, use of technology, creativity, and the possibility of some deeper learning experiences for my students.

Thank you for this learning experience.

Virtual Reality… WOW!

vr-911031_960_720

After watching the virtual reality video, I feel like anything is possible. At school, we have a “Books Are Fun” vendor that comes around to sell cute little items that are sometimes hard to find anywhere else, but in this month’s available products there was an “As Seen On TV” virtual reality mask that fits with Samsung phones. So, I do believe that virtual reality items such as this one or the Microsoft Kinect as modeled in the video will be in every home before we know it. I love the idea of students from all over being able to get into one of the virtual programs and learn how the environment can change over time. That, to me, means they can watch any type of action that might take place and speculate the possible future from certain actions. That would be great to use in history class. Imagine being able to predict what was going to happen as World War II progressed by just plugging in possibilities and witnessing the reactions that take place. One day perhaps we can do that with everything and play out possible scenarios before they actually take place to see what pitfalls or possibilities lay ahead.

I can also see the virtual reality programs being used for students to train and learn. For instance, the article mentioned training for hospital care or practicing military missions. I heard somewhere that the military already engaged in virtual role play for part of their training. I could completely understand how that would be beneficial. The collaboration and team-building would be incredible with the ability to build things together. I believe virtual reality is going to become a huge part of our human lives and integrating in instruction for school, college and any other training will definitely utilize this resource.

I signed up for Second Life and tried it out. It is pretty cool. It is like a video game to me in that I need a 12 year old to help me really get started. I chose my avatar and jumped and flew, but I am not sure where to go from there. I know I can build things, but it was getting late and I didn’t engage in that yet. However, I will explore it more. My son was a huge World of Warcraft player. I used to pay a monthly fee for him to play with people all over the world. He found a way to build his characters up and then sell them to someone who would actually pay real money. (Hmmm, could be a little business there). I would watch him play sometimes and when he earned new battle-gear, he would be excited to show me. He would match up with some of his friends and they would become a team to fight against other teams.

I love the idea of virtual reality and would like to do a simulation sometime just to experience it.

Final Reflection K Wasosky

reflection-882684_960_720

I feel like I have grown in the realm of virtual learning. Through the readings and my blogs as well as the creation of my module, I have learned a lot more than I knew before I began this journey. I have not tweeted as much as I probably should have, but I definitely have the blogging down and have learned a great deal about how online learning has really grown. I like the blogging about what I have read about or watched on a video. It helps me sort out all of the information. Some of the units we read about, I had to read more than once to try and figure them out. I also really liked that we commented on other students’ blogs. It was great feedback for me and I got so many great ideas from those that commented on mine or the blogs I read. It is always great to get another point of view. I believe that is one of the cornerstones of learning anything.

I believe online learning will continue to grow because technology continues to improve and grow and things that didn’t seem possible, are beginning to become a reality. I know this isn’t the blog about virtual reality, but that really brings a whole world closer to each individual person who engages in learning that way.

I don’t believe that I didn’t meet any of the goals. However, there is always room for improvement. I think the more I explore and take chances in trying different approaches to interact with my students both in the classroom and online the more they will learn and the more comfortable I will become with the technology and become a better teacher for them.

I like the course just the way it is. It is the first of this magnitude, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I have to say that I knew basically what to expect each week. At first some of the lesson topics scared me, but after diving in, the information became clearer. Thanks for making this a positive experience. I have enjoyed learning in your online class.

Status of My Module: Almost Good to Go

finish-line

My module on the Transcontinental Railroad and the perspective of whether or not it was a positive or negative force is just about complete. I still need to tweak a couple of things such as my concept map activity and some added directives for moving through the module for my students.

Thanks to the three members who are going to check it out for me and let me know their opinions on how it flows and if it is doable. I originally had two, but one of my students overheard me talking about it and asked if she could do it. Yay!

If I can get it “perfect”, and I get positive results from my sweet guinea pigs, then I just may incorporate it in my course for next year. I will definitely be finished by the deadline.

I have already completed my evaluation of the course.

MOOCs and ME : Not So Fast

communication

I looked back at the blog I posted at the end of September on MOOCs. I was having a hard time understanding how this type of learning would be possible in my classroom because I couldn’t quite
“wrap my head around it”. Those were the words I actually used. I believe my confusion was substantiated when I read the articles for this assignment. I don’t believe MOOC style learning is suited for the students I teach and perhaps not even for most high school level students who don’t demonstrate a self-regulated learning attitude. This is definitely the place where a student has to self-monitor to be successful. I can see how it can be a place to meet for helpful information in a class that a student may be taking at the time, as an extension or resource to aid in a hybrid or traditional classroom setting.

Two of the principles of connectivism that I walked away with define why my course cannot be a MOOC. First of all, nurturing and maintaining connections is needed to facilitate continual learning. At a seventh grade level, this is a definite necessity in the learning process. Secondly, learning and knowledge rests in diversity of opinions. In a MOOC, a student can read thousands of others’ opinions, but it will, at some point, become overwhelming. It is not a true connection unless there is a conversation in which sharing and possibly debating information is carried out between a couple or small group of individuals. There most likely won’t be a response from an instructor in these cases. The theory of connectivism is necessary in my module.

Constructivism lends itself more to adult learners as well. Depending on the topic, students completing my module will not have a lot of background knowledge already. They will after the fact, but they cannot apply anything except what they have learned in our core content area before beginning the module. As I have stated, seventh graders are not slr, but at this point, I can begin to push them in that direction.

I took an online learning class last year at University of La Verne for my history recertification points. I purchased two hard-back books, read them, answered questions online that were basically word for word from the reading with blanks (clozed notes) and at the end I had to write an essay about one of the books. I am assuming it could be a MOOC course because it is offered to teachers everywhere. However, I had no idea how many other students were in the class. There could have been a thousand or more, or I could have been the only one. I guess my point is that it was a MOOC or designed like one and I had absolutely no one to talk to, I only got feedback on my questions after I finished them and it was an electronic response showing my grade. I did have a question about how to find something on the site and had to submit it through a “help” link. After about four or five hours, I got a response. I am old. I have been teaching for twenty years, so this style of learning, although not as much fun, was a successful experience for me as far as gaining my recertification points. I loved the topic and the readings were great, but it would have been nice to have someone to share it with. I received a grade report and I was finished. I had a need to complete the course which is what was driving me to finish it. Most students, unless it is counting towards something they really need or want, and sometimes not even then, will find it is a difficult process to learn this way for a complete course.

My module is not set up this way. First of all, it is a hybrid setting. I interact with my students and they interact with each other. There is peer work and teacher feedback. I couldn’t even imagine having to leave feedback for thousands of students or trying to keep up with all of the conversations that I am trying to closely monitor through my class. So, could ANY of it be incorporated, I think so. Following the websites, doing the readings and recording notes can be carried out. After that, no. Students will utilize their notes to create a written piece which needs to be peer-edited and I need to be available to communicate with them and give them feedback if they ask for it. That is their motivation—the peer/teacher/student connection.

I gleaned this from another article about MOOCs and their use which backs up my theory that it wouldn’t be a successful way for me to teach my content online–“…by either as the scaling of centralised and identical instruction to unprecedented numbers of students or the opportunity for self-directed learning, in which large participant numbers are understood as providing the means to construct knowledge independently of teachers and institutions.” (Rodriguez 2012, 2013)

crowd-meme2

Final Thoughts: A MOOC is a good concept to get information to students who are searching for it, but the learning experience, to me, gets lost in the crowd.

So, Where Am I Going With the Lesson? KWasosky

political-cartoon-res

Cartoon creation by: Kim Wasosky

Well,  creating this module has been a very interesting project. I have learned so much throughout the process and have finally put together a complete module, or project more or less. I have added an extension lesson as an additional lesson to coincide with my first lesson on the Transcontinental Railroad. My extension lesson is for the students to create a political cartoon based on the time period and the information they gained through the research for the first lesson (module).

I have completed my module and have two students lined up who said they would complete the lesson for me. I think it grew into a much bigger lesson than I thought. I am not sure they will want to do it, but I will still ask them if they are interested in trying it all out. I will add them as members to my Transcontinental Railroad course and let them move around and see what they think. I want to ask them for some feedback on what they think of it, once completed.

From my classmates, if they feel like looking through it, I would like some specific feedback on whether or not it would accomplish my objective the way it is set up. Any constructive critiquing would be helpful. Monty, it took a long time to get the lesson set up just the way I wanted it. When putting together modules for online-learning, will it get easier and require less time in the future, or does it always require so much time? I really like the idea of having lessons online. We have an online textbook for my class and I assign work to students on homebound or those that are out sick and upload my notes to them so they don’t fall behind. Since taking this course, I have created a folder within one of my classes for a student who is receiving homebound instruction. I upload notes, the test, the link to the text and she is basically taking my class online except that she prints off the completed work and sends it in to me. I can most likely in the future, have it all done online and cut out the middle-man if I set up virtual hours where she could ask questions and we could have some discussions.

There are definitely some possibilities for my course here.

Thank you for your patience. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. By the way, Debbie Myers, I decided to take you up on the Google Draw for my lesson extension. It was fun to create.

Final TPACK Lesson-KWasosky

tracks

Final TPACK Lesson 

Students will be identifying different perspectives of people in America that were affected by the building of the Transcontinental Railroad. The population of learners for this lesson consists of a whole group of twenty-two seventh grade students in my U.S. History class. The lesson will occur with some face-to-face interaction and some online interaction between the students and myself. The students were asked to answer a question, “Was the Transcontinental Railroad a positive or negative force in America?” prior to the beginning of the unit on Westward Expansion. In this lesson, the students will engage in online research utilizing provided links to gain information about the different perspectives of each group of people. They will organize their information in a graphic organizer which will be accessed online. They will draft an essay on their finding which will also include whether or not they have changed their opinion after the research. Students will partner up and share their essays with one another for peer editing collaboration before submitting a final, polished essay for assessment to me through Google.docs.

The main Content (C) of this lesson is for students to clearly identify in what ways different groups of people in America were affected by or during the construction of the Transcontinental Railroad. The groups of people being examined are: Homesteaders/Ranchers, Native Americans, Immigrant railroad workers, Railroad company owners, citizens on the east and west coasts of the U.S. Students will gain insight to this information through the planned websites listed for them to use for the lesson.

The main Pedagogy (P) is based on three of Marzano’s research-based strategies. The first strategy to be addressed specifically targets note-taking to pull out useful information on each group of people listed. The second strategy will involve cooperative learning in which the students will peer-edit for a partner and receive constructive feedback on written work before drafting a final product. The last strategy involves using graphic organizers to sort out the acquired information and recording it in an organized chart to help them analyze the depth of the effects on the people they are researching. This lesson will be best carried out with some face-to-face interaction when discussing online engagement with others. Modeling of procedures on how to achieve student goals are necessary to assure clarity of directions.

The main Technology (T) for the lesson is the utilization of google.docs to share information with each other for using the organizer to collect information, writing an essay, peer-editing response and sharing the final draft with me. A secondary use of technology involves using the schoology platform to engage in the lesson from the start, gain access to all organizers, websites as well as enter the response to the initial question.

The Pedagogical Content Knowledge (PCK)

Seventh grade students using graphic organizers while researching historic information under clearly defined headings offers needed guidance to focus on specific information related to each category when note-taking. Students will be provided with a rubric for their final assessment essay. Cooperative activities such as peer-editing are beneficial for constructive feedback and suggestions for production of a well-created final assessment.

Support: Students produce information in which they can see in an organized form and determine the outcome of how each group was effected by the construction of the railroad. This allows them to develop an essay that clearly identifies the initial question and will or will not validate their initial prediction or opinion. As stated in Marzano’s Instructional Strategies, utilizing cooperative learning is a way to confirm their thoughts with their peers through feedback.

The Technological Content Knowledge (TCK)

Using schoology and Google docs will be the primary place for students to gain access to the lesson module and links to gain content knowledge throughout the module. The module includes all websites, note-taking organizers and organizer activity which allows the students to work at their own pace on their own time without the constraints of a face-to-face classroom. It is within the parameters of schoology and Google docs that the students will gain access to the content,  easily be able to share, comment and suggest edits to their partner’s work. The first assignment for students it to use schoology to add their opinion to the discussion board before beginning any research. This is Marzano’s ninth strategy which incorporates questioning before the lesson has begun.

As the instructor, I will set strict criteria of expectations when having online discussions with one another. Guidelines of acceptable language and behaviors will be addressed prior to the lesson. If students have questions, I will be available to them through schoology messaging which is also where the discussion boards will be set up. I can prevent students from seeing other posts until they post themselves. This will assist me in seeing what opinion each student actually has without copying someone else’s thoughts. It also allows a check on appropriateness of the posts. On the contrary, when students are discussing their findings with each other, I won’t block posting because that could halt communication altogether.

Modeling of how to share work with another, as well as suggesting editing and comments on work, will be done prior to the lesson in a face-to-face class.

Support: Students feel more confident in completing assignments when they work with others in a non-threatening environment. Marzano’s sixth strategy of working cooperatively to achieve learning goals. They have stated that working cooperatively helps when editing written work because of issues such as spelling, grammar and capitalization are difficult without the “extra pair of eyes looking it over.”

Technological Pedagogical Knowledge (TPK)

Using schoology as the platform allows the instructor and the students to come together in one place for all learning materials for the module itself. The lesson is explained, the note-taking organizers and concept map activities are available on the site for access at any time. The students simply upload forms that are to be filled out while working with the content to their google docs and  submit them so I can monitor that they are getting the information necessary to complete their tasks. Having all forms and directions in a central location is important for students so they can get help, re-read instructions and gain access to all forms. Should a student need to start over, it is easy to go back to schoology and download another form.

Support: Utilizing ideas from Marzano’s strategies numbers two and seven. Students will be clearly instructed on how to follow the directions to reach their goals. After the initial question, they will have an interest to find out more (hopefully) and will follow the steps to complete their objectives of research, note-taking, writing, and gaining more insight to the various perspectives of people affected by the building of the Transcontinental Railroad.

Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK)

The prior knowledge of how to use the available technology will allow them effectively apply the pedagogical strategies to record and assess new content information gained through research and note-taking. They will finally use the technology to gain feedback which allows each student to produce a written assignment that demonstrates deeper learning.

Support: The fusion of the technology, pedagogy, and content will blend well for this lesson because the students are somewhat familiar with schoology and how to access courses and modules located there.  Following the website links will lead them to the information they are seeking, and utilizing Google.docs to fill out their organizer is something they can easily complete because of their prior knowledge of how it works. Developing written assignments on Google.docs is an activity that has been done before, so they should be able to carry out the technology-end of the lesson without issue. There is a plethora of information to be gleaned from the provided websites to easily gain access to information which should be used to complete the organizer to help students determine the effects on each group in relation to the construction of the Transcontinental Railroad. The content is new to them, so using familiar resources is a logical step to help them engage in deeper understanding of each group’s situation.

My Seventh Graders and Self-Regulated Learning KWasosky

the_cycle_of_srl

In an ideal class, I have faith in my students to be able to create great things and experience a deeper learning of others’ perspectives through this module. I would love to hand them the assignment, explain the rules of engagement in the discussion forum, and answer any questions they have before beginning. I would then be excited to say, “Okay, Go!” It would be incredible for them to have all work turned in showing growth in learning the material through their conversations with each other and each part of the module thoroughly completed well and on time. I would even be happy to see them reflect through their essays on what they have learned through the process that touched them on a personal level. However, I don’t believe most seventh grade students which I teach will be able to adhere to the principle of being responsible and setting goals to move through the module without guidance. I believe I can give due dates for different activities and they can carry out a modified form of SRL, if that can even be possible. After all, SRL must be student regulated, right?

I am torn when it comes to addressing SRL in my module. Does it need to be addressed? Absolutely it does. Although, I am not sure how to go about teaching it.  I thought about how I can model  SRL principles by expressing to my students how I plan their lessons each week. For instance, I would explain what goes into creating what I think we should accomplish and try to meet those goals. If we don’t meet them, then I have to re-calibrate my date to be sure that there is a clear understanding of the material. I feel that would be a good example for them to visualize the process of beginning a lesson with them in class and then determining the timeline I expect to have a lesson finished and begin another and so on. I could also model self-reflection by explaining how I assess my job teaching them after getting results from their assessments. I do short-term self-reflection of how I am doing when I have conversations with them in class about the content. Asking probing questions that offer a glimpse of their understanding of the content.

Within the module, I could have them keep a record of what time they began an assignment and what time they finished. Have them self-reflect on what knowledge they gained that can be used later in their assessment essay. Since I believe that most of my students are not practiced self-regulated learners that skill will have to be incorporated and practiced often for them to achieve it. I am a little concerned that as seventh graders, full mastery of self-regulation may not be possible because they don’t possess the maturity to carry it out. Any thoughts from my colleagues about seventh graders being able to achieve that goal of SRL would be appreciated. Do you think it is possible?

Revised TPACK K Wasosky

venn-diagram-blended

Revised TPACK Lesson Description

The Pedagogical Content Knowledge (PCK)

Seventh grade students using graphic organizers while researching historic information under clearly defined headings offers needed guidance to focus on specific information related to each category when note-taking. Cooperative activities such as peer-editing is beneficial for constructive feedback and suggestions for production of a well-created finished work.

Support: Students produce information in which they can see in an organized form and determine the outcome of how each group was effected by the construction of the railroad. This allows them to develop an essay that clearly identifies the initial question and will or will not validate their initial prediction or opinion. Utilizing cooperative learning is a way to confirm their thoughts with their peers through feedback.

As the instructor, I will set strict criteria of expectations when having online discussions with one another. Guidelines of acceptable language and behaviors will be addressed prior to the lesson. If students have questions, I will be available to them through schoology messaging which is also where the discussion boards will be set up. I can prevent students from seeing other posts until they post themselves. This will assist me in seeing what opinion each student actually has without copying someone else’s thoughts. I won’t use this measure when students are discussing their findings with each other because that would halt communication altogether.

Module Activity KWasosky

concept-map

For my module, I set up a concept map and then asked myself, what does this activity accomplish? I am a serious note-taker and I have to think about how students would best organize notes created in the module. The concept map that I created, I believe, would be an activity they could use to identify the specific reasons why the Transcontinental Railroad project was a positive or negative force and for whom. I would incorporate this activity after the note-taking and before the essay as another way to get a clear understanding of the perspectives of the groups they chose to research. I feel that this activity would allow them to look deeper into the content by analyzing more specifically why certain groups were affected the way they were. Technologically, they would they would still access this information through the Internet from the sites I have shared with them or the sites they have chosen to research on their own. I will have my concept map available in the module for the students to upload to their google docs and fill in to share with their partners and me to see that they have properly completed the task.  As part of my pedagogy for this piece, I will continue to monitor and remind them of using “acceptable” sites for their research and to avoid sites that may not be dependable for their type of work. I want this to be an exploration, as I am interested in what they will discover on their own through the process.