E-Learning Generations The MOOC

Well, as I began reading this article on the MOOC, I felt as though I were travelling back through time. I never collectively thought about the process of how communication on the WWW evolved so much, I just kept learning more information on how to navigate and use it and thought about how cool it was.

After soaking in the article about how the  MOOC is affecting the sharing of knowledge with one another from “everywhere”, it is almost too big to wrap my head around. I know that earlier generations were more concerned with sharing content with others through the use of the massive Internet. With virtual meetings, virtual gaming and social media growing so quickly, it is no wonder that it can only get bigger. In that time, it was also a more conceivable concept, more concrete, to understand.

The flow is something I cannot yet fathom, and maybe I never will. It may be something that just is, and I know it’s there, and use it to reach my goals and have my e-learning students reach theirs. However, I am not sure how I am going to utilize it in teaching online. I feel I will have to start with baby steps and hope to grow exponentially as I “see” better. I hope there is more clarity on this topic. I understand the part about communication from all over the world and being able to reside in the same online space. I am even in complete understanding of analyzing data to construct a better-tailored lesson on a topic with which students have difficulty. However, I am not sure my brain understands the flow and the constant fluid movement of the e-learning. If I have to teach history in an online course, how does that work together. I would love some feedback. I feel like I may be missing an important point here.

Thank you in advance.

So, I took the term ds106. I expected to find some difficult-to-understand computer jargon that would have no meaning to me, really. All I can say is, “Wow.” The ds106 course was that of digital storytelling. It wasn’t just a closed online class though. It published through Mary Washington College as an open-ended online course in which anyone could sign up for and participate. Before the course even got started, people from all over the world were submitting and posting work through video gifs, audio, written work and other art forms. The interesting part about this to me was that, as a writer myself, it would have been a great place to submit my work where others could see it, and appreciate it. Getting feedback for work is an incredible motivator. I can see how this type of online course would be successful with students who just talk to anyone about what they want to know or having feedback on what they are putting out there. I watched this video and I will list the site for it on how it all started. Hopefully, it will work by hyperlinking it. If not, I can just type it out for you and you can copy and paste it. It is about 32 min. long. You can feel the positive energy from the speaker and his enthusiasm for the project.

http://ds106.us/history/

2 thoughts on “E-Learning Generations The MOOC”

1. It is not concrete. It is fluid and I feel like the flow can go in any direction and it will be difficult to measure. Will the students know what I want to see from them? Will they understand my direction and will I understand what they complete for an assignment. I am unsure of how to configure free flowing items from concrete facts in History. I do understand that people speculate on the whys and hows in history. However, I want to make sure that the students are basing their input on facts that are not-so-free flowing.