Hey guys! My name is Alanis Irigoyen and my preferred pronouns are she/her. I am a first year grad student in the Sociology Program concentrating on Digital Sociology. I am currently residing in Richmond, Va but I’m from Norfolk, Va..not too far off. I actually did my undergrad at VCU and got my B.S. in Sociology.

My research interests are still sort of up in the air, but I have found myself being drawn to how the usage of social media platforms affect our mental health. But since the rise of social media has become so increasing over the past few years, there’s so much more to unpack when it comes to social media and how it affects us overall. I also have recently found that I am not a fan of how polarizing news outlets have become and its aided in a lot of misinformation. There’s a lot in that field that I’d like to get into as well. I think finding a way to provide news in a neutralized way would help a lot of people come together.

That being said, I have very little programming experience unless you want to count a couple weeks of SAS course training. That is why I am eager to expand in that field and become more proficient in programming, which is what I know this class will help me achieve.

I’ll end by saying that I have an obsession with Korean hot noodles (Samyang brand to be exact) so I guess that’s a pretty “interesting/unique” fact about me if that counts as one 🙂

3 comments

1. coghillk February 9, 2021 at 2:36 pm

Alanis, I just read some articles on media framing for my seminars this week. If you are interested I will share them with you. My cohort sister Lauren got her MS in Digital Sociology as well at VCU. I went to ODU in Norfolk, 757!!!

• sinwala February 11, 2021 at 7:32 pm

I’m so sorry, I’m just seeing this but that’s awesome, yes I’d love to see those articles, if you’re still willing to share them with me! And that’s dope you went to ODU lol, #757

2. digitalsocyprof13 February 14, 2021 at 5:33 pm

Welcome, Alanis! So glad to have you in the course! How exciting that you are still cultivating your research interests. Follow the intellectual rabbit hole and explore all those interests. It will coalesce. I often find that our research interests are based on our own personal experiences that have impacted us. My own research results from trying to bring my husband to the United States and having a transnational marriage. I am looking forward to conversations to help you hone your own interests!