Source Nugget 3

The final source that is going to help me through this research process is, On the Dynamics of Social Media Popularity: A YouTube Case Study, by Flavio Figueiredo, Jussara M. Almeida, Marcos André Gonçalves, and Fabrício Benvenuto.

The nugget I found from this source is,”We found that copyright protected (YouTomb) videos tend to get most of their views much earlier in their lifespans, followed by Top videos, and then videos in the Random dataset. We also found that Top videos tend to experience significant popularity bursts, receiving a large fraction of their views on a single day (or week).” This was the conclusion of the paper, but I chose this segment because it gave an overall recap of what the study found, which shows how the data interacts with the nature of the study. This source was more mathematical than the other two since most of the studies used an algorithm of some sort to find an estimated answer. However, I found this source to be a bit more difficult to follow but it gave me good insight on how a video can become popular so fast on YouTube, which is helpful in this research project.

Reflecting on Research

I have been researching information for this project for quite some time, however I am just now posting about my experience with it. My experience with this research has been interesting and eye opening. I have found many facts about vlogging and YouTube that I did not know before. Due to the lack of previous research for the financial aspect of YouTube and vlogging, I had to change my area of study from the financial view to the social view. There is much more information and previous research about how a video becomes so popular. As I research more and find new sources, I hope to find more information that proves my hypothesis that the personality of the blogger has a huge impact on whether or not their videos become exceedingly popular.

Source Nugget 2

Another source that is going to be helpful in my research process is, You Are Known by How You Vlog: Personality Impressions and Nonverbal Behavior in YouTubeby Joan- Issac Biel and Oya Aran and Daniel Gatica-Perez.

The nugget I got from this source is, “In addition, we show that the combination of audio and visual cues can be used to predict 34% of the variance for the Extraversion trait, which corresponds to the most reliably judged personality trait. Furthermore, we found that videos of bloggers scor- ing higher on the Extraversion, Openness to experience, and Conscientiousness are positively associated to higher aver- age levels of attention in YouTube, which may show how these bloggers are perceived by people and how they inter- act with the social media community.” This is just giving a brief explanation of how they calculate the popularity of a video based on the different categories they view. I really like this source, overall, because it is more scientific and research based, meaning there is more evidence and hard facts about the popularity of videos on YouTube, which in my opinion is easier to understand than qualitative facts.

This source nugget is a bit different than the source nugget I posted before because this one is more quantitative and fact based, while the other source was more qualitative and descriptive. However, both work together to provide a wide range of information about vlogs and their popularity. The first nugget post helped describe the nature of a vlog and how they are used in the space around them, while the second nugget helped show the research behind the reasons why certain vlogs are so popular.

Source Nugget 1

I have found many scholarly sources that are going to be helpful in this research process. The first source is, VlogSense:Conversational Behavior and Social Attention in YouTube, by Joan- Issac Biel and Daniel Gatica- Perez.

One nugget I have picked out of this source is, “Today, vlogs constitute a communication genre that promotes high participation, critique, and discussion, and therefore are not only used for life documentary or daily interaction, but also for e-learning, entertainment, marketing, and corporate communication, where a more social (even personal) way of reaching the audience is either necessary or beneficial [Burgess and Green 2009; Strangelove 2010; Vonderau 2010].” This segment really just gives a brief overview of what a vlog essentially is and what it can do. I like this explanation of what a vlog is because it makes it seem like the amazing piece of work it really is.

Finalizing My Dream

For my Inquiry Project, I will be changing my area of research. However, I will still be looking at the YouTube space, but I will be researching what components make videos popular and how some YouTubers become more popular than others.

Looking back at the new media readers, I have found that some of them will be helpful in this process. Vannevar Bush’s, As We May Think, discusses the very fast and easy communication between people due to the advancement of technology. This relates to the area I am researching because YouTube has made communication between the vlogger and the viewer easier and more available, resulting in many new opportunities for everyone involved with the website.

Mapping My Dreamers

UNIV 200 mapping my dreamers

They Say/ I Say

One of my previous nuggets that I have chosen from a reading that really relates to me as a writer, as well as my inquiry project, is, “Science has provided the swiftest communication between individuals; it has provided a record of ideas and has enabled man to manipulate and to make extracts from that record so that knowledge evolves and endures throughout the life of a race rather than that of an individual.” This nugget was from, “As We May Think,” by Vannevar Bush.

This excerpt relates to me as a writer and thinker because I view technology as something that has made communication, as well as other actions, faster and more efficient. Just like the quote, I also believe that technology discoveries have enabled us to improve upon them in order to make them better and more public. That leads me to the relation to my inquiry project, YouTube was created 10 years ago, and today it is one of the most visited websites around the world. This web space has been improved and advanced each year to allow for endless possibilities for those using it, as well as viewing it.

Progress Report

Things have been going pretty good so far, in my opinion. I have not been keeping up with the blogs like I want to, I have been creating them a day or more later than the due date, so that’s not good. However, other than that I feel confident about everything else happening in the class. Now that we are at the midterm, going into the final half of the semester, I feel the pace picking up just a bit, not too bad. I am getting more excited to research more on my topic and share what I find with everyone else.

I am not quite sure what the incubator classroom is, but I am going to guess that it is when we separate into smaller groups and discuss whatever the topic is. If it is that, I like it because it is less intimidating to share my ideas since it is only a few other people, and not the entire class. I also think it helps us generate more ideas about the topic, since everyone has a different opinion about things.

Futuring My Dream

I have chosen to focus on YouTube and how the salary of the famous YouTube personalities compare to the salaries of television stars. Looking into the future, 10 years from now, I see YouTube becoming more advanced and more popular than cable television.

In 10 years, cable tv will be a thing of the past. All of the entertainment will be provided online through either YouTube(which I believe will take over the entire world at some point) or online streaming of movies and reoccurring shows. Today, online streaming is already becoming more and more popular. For example, I received an email last week that said anyone who is connected to the VCU wifi can sign into this website(using your VCU ID) and stream live television, as well as record your favorite shows, so you can watch them later. This is just one of many ways that live television can be streamed to your laptop or tablet. Not to mention, there are numerous popular original shows from both Netflix and Hulu, which are both online streaming websites with popular tv shows and movies. With all of these new and increasingly more popular websites for online streaming, the entire population will be watching their favorite shows and movies online, while cable TV will cease to exist.

EDIT:

This post relates very closely with what I want to explore for my inquiry project. I want to explore the difference or similarity in the salary of a famous YouTube personality and a famous television star. I believe that by exploring this aspect of YouTube will wither confirm or deny my theory that YouTube personalities are just as high ranking as famous television stars, which means YouTube is just as popular, if not more popular, than cable television.

I would present my inquiry project question as, “How does the salary of famous YouTube personalities compare to those of famous TV stars, and how does this relate to the popularity of either space?”

Kay/Goldberg Nugget Post

One part from the article, “Personal Dynamic Media,” by Alan Kay and Adele Goldberg, was, “For most of recorded history, the interactions of humans with their media have been primarily non conversational and passive in the sense that marks on paper, paint on walls, even “motion” pictures and television, do not change in response to the viewer’s wishes.” This also ties into my topic for the inquiry project.

I think this statement is essentially saying, in the past technology has not been changed to please those who are using it, and the so called, “viewers,” did not have much say in how it worked. However, this has since changed because there is more viewer participation and input than there ever has been before. Different types of technology mediums are including the suggestions and opinions of the people who are using that product, by reaching out to those who use them and asking what they could do better. For example, YouTube filters what shows up on what the user sees as the home page based on their watched video history. This helps the viewer expand their video watching habits by clicking on the very conveniently placed videos in front of them.