Engelbart Nugget

A quote from, “Augmenting Human Intellect: A Conceptual Framework,” by Douglas Engelbart, was this; “The system we want to improve can thus be visualized as a trained human being together with his artifacts, language, and methodology. The explicit new system we contemplate will involve as artifacts computers, and computer-controlled information-storage, information-handling, and information-display devices.”

This quote essentially means, as a society we want to improve and focus on the abilities of us as humans and the amazing things we can do with our knowledge and skills. However, we imagine a world with many devices that will take away from our ability to do these natural human tasks without the help of outside sources. I feel that this is very true in our society today, and it is amazing how Engelbart predicted this back in the early 1960s. Just like in the other readings we have looked at, this emphasizes the use of technology and how it can really be detrimental to our ability to function without these devices. However, it is inevitable because everyday we are discovering new and improved ways to use technology, really to our advantage, in order to perform simple tasks faster and more efficient.

EDIT:

Smith’s Blog Post was interesting to read because they chose a different quote than me, but the two quotes still had a slight connection with one another. The quote I chose emphasized how much we are eventually going to be relying on technology and machines. In comparison, Smith emphasized on the many advancements we have made in technology, but the major lack of so called, “answers,” to benefit the technology.

Grennan’s Blog Post was also similar to mine, however I do feel that theirs had a more extreme accusation of what is going to happen, in the future, with the relationship between humans and technology. I believe that we will be more reliant on technology, but I think that we will not become powerless and lose all of our innate abilities to function without it.

I really connected with LUONGTS Post because our blog posts were very similar and we discussed the same subject of how incredible it is that we have come so far in technology just in a computer since the 1960s.

Emily

One thought on “Engelbart Nugget