Man-Computer Symbiosis Nugget

After reading J.C.R.’s Licklider’s Man-Computer Symbiosis I thought about the website ChaCha, you know the one wi-love-chacha-13098843013here you can ask questions to and the website formulates an answer in approximately 7 seconds?  Yup, that one. My reason for relating this text and this website was because J.C.R. Licklider says: “The hope is that, in not too many years, human brains and computing machines will be coupled together very tightly, and that the resulting partnership will think as no human brain has ever thought and process data in a way not approached by the information-handling machines we know today.”

This quote made me think that in some way we as humans have advanced tremendously in the technology spectrum and that we are already using websites and apps that act as human brains and that allow us to have access to information at the length of our fingertips. It truly does amaze me how we use websites such as ChaCha and search engines that literally have more information that we could ever think of reading. It is amazing how far we’ve come and at the same time a little worrisome since sometimes too much of something isn’t always necessarily the best thing. For now though, the internet and computers and electronic devices have helped us in many aspects. We can also argue that they have also hurt us but I think establishing a middle ground in where not too much technology is used would be prudent. In the mean time though, we should enjoy all these websites and apps and never ending links filled with information we so often hunger for.

One thought on “Man-Computer Symbiosis Nugget

1. I don’t know Cha Cha — I’ll have to check it out. I remember “Ask Jeeves” being popular years ago — wondering how Cha Cha differs from that concept — ask a question , get a sometimes-right answer: )