Minds and Persona (Inquiry Project #2)

I thought about it a lot and I’m not sure there’s any other topics I want to research. I’ll stick with researching social media. Thanks to some comments from the librarian, I know where to search for my topic. Srikar commented on post mentioning that I should zero in on my subject because it is very broad. I agree it is too general so I will focus my research on Social Media and it’s effect on identity. It’s been theorized that people tend to “act” and create multiple persona. With social media, they can test these persona without much of a risk because no one knows who they truly are in real life. I believe these changes in how we create the “self” using the internet has the highest risk in childhood when we are still figuring out who we really are. I am not sure if there are much research on this topic but I will look into it and find out. One of my classmate is doing the addiction of social media which I believe will be beneficial in my research. I will probably try to connect with this person.

2 comments for “Minds and Persona (Inquiry Project #2)

1. October 8, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Hi Dahn,

I’m glad you’ve zeroed in on social media and the creation of identity. You are absolutely right that social media allows us to play with our identity in various ways. In fact, the anonymity of the Internet as a safe place to be someone else predates modern social media platforms–message boards and online gaming have always been places where people could “hide” behind an avatar and user name and basically be whoever the wanted. With the rise of social media that is attached to our real pictures and names, that’s changing…but it’s still allowing us to “be our best selves” online. There’s a lot to work with here. Let me know if you need help!

~Jenny

2. November 11, 2015 at 3:21 am

I like this idea because I agree with it totally and it kind of ties into my topic of authenticity and social media and how people aren’t being authentic. As you stated, people tend to come up with personas and overtime it’s not who they are and some face reality the hard way.