– Describes the action of the NSA taking bulk telephony metadata and storing it.
– NSA claims the data taken is random and indiscriminate which makes it constitutional, and claims the need for this data to defend the nation
– Klayman and defendants claim that this is a breach of their 4th amendment right, constituting and unconstitutional search and seizure
– THE US patriot act ended on June 1 2015 and the USA freedom act was enacted on june 2 2015 however would not take effect until November 29 2015, leaving a 180 day period of over lap in which the procedures of the patriot act remained in effect
– Main difference between the PATRIOT and FREEDOM act, within freedom act the NSA cannot recover bulk metadata independently but can require telephone service providers to run targeted inquirys