Inquiry Project Map

Inquiry Project Map

1. “Cocktail Paragraph” – In the past African Americans were forced to work for non African Americans, then segregation, and then US set a law against discrimination. Even though the law states every individual is equal and shall be treated the same, I felt as if there is still discrimination in the criminal justice system. I’ve looked through several cases and wondered why the incarceration rate for African Americans is higher than non African Americans. There were articles that I’ve found online that stated African Americans receive longer sentences than non African Americans even though the crime that was convicted is the exact same. I believe this brings fault to the criminal justice system due to the inequality among human race.
  2. Inquiry Project Outline –
    Inequality of human race in the criminal justice system led to a higher rate of incarceration for African Americans out of all human races.

• African Americans receiving a longer sentence than non African Americans.
      • The US Sentence Commission found that “prison sentences of black men were nearly 20% longer than those of white men for similar crimes.”
        • The racial gap between African Americans and non African Americans have increased ever since the “Supreme Court restored judicial discretion in sentencing in 2005.”
      • “In the 2005 case US v. Booker, struck down a 1984 law that required federal district judges to impose a sentence within the range of federal sentencing guidelines.”
        • After the case ended, “sentences of black were on average 15.2% longer than the sentences of similarly situated whites.”
      • Less than 10% of criminal cases go to trial and many African American defendant were not given a trial.
      • Difficult to find a career after leaving prison, which leads to another crime.
        • no high school diploma = likely to convict a crime resulting prison time rather than finding a job.
        • Difficult to escape a life of crime.
      • Difficult to make a family or take care of their children.
        • Children experiencing a childhood without a parent, emotionally strained, and little to no education.
          • Children that live under such condition and stressed may develop anger and violence, which led to convicting crimes following their parent’s footsteps.
            • break up of families and friends
        • Could of been the only person in the family who has an income and when locked up in jail, his or her family may receive no aid thus feeling locked up also.
          • “instilling further poverty”
          • A case that has happened to Carl Harris, a crack dealer that has been given “a 20-year prison sentence at the age of 24, was forced to abandon his family when he was locked up.”
            • Without Harris, his wife and 2 daughters ended up homeless because he was the only one making a decent amount that was able to pay the rent and cost of food.
    • Discrimination among the human race in the justice system
      • In NYC and CA polices often stop African Americans at a rate higher than non African Americans.
      • According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the highest incarceration rate in the United States is “about 500 people per 100,000 resident”
        • “incarceration rate for African Americans is about 3,074 per 100,000 residents, which is more than 6 times as high as the national avg.”
    • Racial inequality in youth sentencing.
      • “Human Rights Watch reports that more than 2,500 people in the United States have been convicted of a crime committed before they were 18 years old and sentenced to life without parole.”
        • this is the most extreme sentencing that a person under the age of 18 receives.
        • the youth is to be “transferred from juvenile court to be tried as adults in criminal court”
          • “62% of the youth prosecuted in the adult criminal system.”
        • “1 out of every 8 African-American youth who are convicted of killing someone will be sentenced to life without parole.”
          • “73% of the people serving life without parole in the U.S federal prisons for a crime committed under age 18 are people of color.”
        • Without any opportunity of parole these youth are hidden from the society, even when grown or matured their cases may not be reconsidered or reviewed.
      • “45% of all incarcerated youth are African-American” and the “studies show that youth of color are treated more harshly than White youth even when arrested and prosecuted for the same offense.”
        • if the law stated that every individual no matter the gender or race shall be treated the same, why are they treated differently when they are arrested? African American youth and non African American youth are all young people that has convicted a crime, which shall be treated the same if the conviction is the same.
        • there shall be no superiority within a race which led to harshly treatment to another race.
      • Private counsel.
        • The difference in races may make an affect on being convicted.
          • “White youth are twice as likely to be represented by private counsel as African American youth.”
        • It is believed that youth that are “represented by a private attorneys were less likely to be convicted.”

Concept Experience #5 Part 2

A week or so ago, when I was asked where I will be hosting my inquiry project I stated that I’m not certain at that point. Right now I think I will be hosting it on a new WordPress via Rampages because since the past 1-2 months I’ve been using it for UNIV 200 I’ve gotten used to it and I believe it’ll be easier for other students to view and comment if need to.

WordpressUnknown

Concept Experience #5 Part 1

When I first opened the page, I see this picture…began and the logo…
nautilus-logo-printI like the logo of this documentation, it is not too simple but not complex. At first I was wondering what does the picture have anything to do with this piece of work, I still wonder after I finished reading the piece. Each section has an image at the end, which I assume “closes” the point and allows the reader to be ready to transit to another factual point. Also at the start of each section the first letter of the first word is enlarged, I felt with a few styling with the fonts and images makes the document not as boring to read. The references at the end of the documentation shows evidence of the factual statements and if readers wants to learn more. In most articles or documents that I’ve read for this class there is several advertisements throughout the piece, but this has nothing but the document. The document allows the readers to easily read and understand the contents.

‘If the World Began Again, Would Life as We Know It Exist?’

1. What is the thesis or main claim that the author is making?
    -The main claim that I think the author is making is if there was an opportunity given to began the world again, nothing would of changed. –
  2. Does the author make sub-claims? If so, which ones?
    -The author makes sub-claims throughout the documentation. Some examples that the author mentioned about was the evolution of salamander’s tongue and evolution of a type of bacteria called Escherichia coli. –
  3. What kind of evidences does the author use? (scholarly? peer-reviewed? secondary?)
    -The kind of evidence that author use is scholarly. –
  4. Is the evidence credible? Why or why not?
    -The evidence is credible because he mentioned everything of the scholars he used such as name and occupation. The background of each of the scholars allow credibility. Datas were collected throughout the years and not just a single day or two of collection.-
  5. What kinds of rhetorical strategies does the author use?
    -The author uses mainly factual statements in this documentation.  –
  6. Does the author make a logical argument? If so, why?
    -I don’t believe the author made a logical argument in this piece. He stated plenty of factual statements which made this piece logical, but not an argument.-
  7. Did you find any logical fallacies?
    -I have not found any logical fallacies because the author uses mainly facts from scholars instead of any opinions.-
  8. Overall, did you find the argument persuasive? Why or why not?
    -I did not find this piece persuasive at all to be honest. As I stated in my previous answers, the author uses mainly factual statements. I just felt as if I’m in high school still reading the textbook.-

Rotating_earth_(large)

Updated Inquiry Proposal

My initial inquiry research proposal was on the topic of race inequality in justice. I had learned and reviewed many cases in the past that was about race inequality. I have thought of my proposal topic as “Why is there race inequality under justice, when justice is supposed to mean rightfulness or lawfulness?” and “What is the effect of race inequality in justice placed upon the victims?”

justice

I had read on the US Department of Justice webpage about equality. In their blog, it stated how everyone is equal under the law and shall have equal access to careers and education.  There are many blogs that explains about equality of the people, it may be very broad but it is very easy to understand.

DOJ

Racial equality matters to the public health because it brings an impact to every individual. Race still matters to this day because it occurs in our daily life. In this article it states and explains how race still matters and how the public health brings an impact to race equality.

faces

There were many cases that involves racial inequality, and one of the cases that I’ve looked into is Grutter v. Bollinger and Gratz v. Bollinger in 2003. In this case it shows what happened that caused the open and the final sentencing.

affirmation action

The Britannica Online Encyclopedia has many articles listed that involves human race inequality. The articles gave me more information about how the human race was in the past and why had caused the inequality. It describes in details what has been done to different human races.

britannicaI’ve looked up on the internet for anything that is about human race inequality. An article that I found was about this comedian, Bill Cosby making racist remarks toward African Americans. Even though he is a comedian and African American himself, but I don’t believe it is any laughing matter when creating racist remarks about human races.

cosby

I had not decided the platform or design for the inquiry project at this moment, but I know that I’ll be using a lot of past cases that been brought to court involving race inequality.

idk

‘Personal Dynamic Media’ Nugget

Every message is, in one sense or another, a simulation of some idea. It may be representational or abstract. The essence of a medium is very much dependent on the way messages are embedded, changed, and viewed. Although digital computers were originally designed to do arithmetic computation, the ability to simulate the details of any descriptive model means that the computer, viewed as a medium itself, can be all other media if the embedding and viewing methods are sufficiently well provided. Moreover, this new “meta medium” is active—it can respond to queries and experiments—so that the messages may involve the learner in a two-way conversation. This property has never been available before except through the medium of an individual teacher. We think the implications are vast and compelling.

Every time when a message is given by a person or just stated in a book or internet, it is interpreted differently by whoever was exposed to it. In group assignments when the teacher give students a statement to interpret on, each student would have a different view or opinion of what the statement means. People may interpret any messages or statements differently, but they aren’t wrong.

interpretation

Although people may have different interpretations, they provide themselves with many choices to work with in group assignments. As people with different interpretations of a message get together, they are teaching each other that it can mean something else, which allows each other to think outside the box.

misinterpretation

Concept Experience Re-visit

Zotero, a computer-based tool was exposed to us this week. My classmates and I are starting or soon-to-be starting our inquiry projects. With the aid of Zotero, we are able to research on our topic more efficiently. Zotero allows its users to manage their research information easier because it is in one individual section. I think this will be a great tool to use for this research project.

Last week’s concept experience, I was given the task to write a metaphor about “digesting” other people’s works. I think with this tool, finding information and typing up assignments will be easier and more efficient because it is organized into lists on Zotero.

Lickler, Engelbart, and Nelson believed that computers are supposed to be the aid for humans with their “heavy-duty,” to fasten the process and not to completely do the work for humans like Zotero does. I believe they will probably like the new computer-based tool because in their articles they stated about how technologies will continue to advance. With the human mind, they know that there will be people coming up with new ideas to advance the current technologies.

zotero zotero 2

CL/DM Nugget #4

The recognition of that arbitrariness, and reconsideration among broader and more general alternatives, awaits us. All the previous units and mechanisms of learning, scholarship, arts, transaction and confirmation, and even self-reminder, were based in various ways upon physical objects—the properties of paper, carbon paper, files, books and bookshelves. To read from paper you must move the physical object in front of you. Its contents cannot be made to slide, fold, shrink, become transparent, or get larger.

But all this is now changing, and suddenly. The computer display screen does all these things if desired, to the same markings we have previously handled on paper. The computer display screen is going to become universal very fast; this is guaranteed by the suddenly rising cost of paper. And we will use them for everything. This already happens wherever there are responding computer screen systems. (I have a friend with two CRTs on his desk; one for the normal flow of work, and one to handle interruptions and side excursions.) A lot of forests will be saved.

pc books

The computer display screen saves a lot of forests, and benefits the environment by leaving a safer habitat for animals. Saving trees will help make the world a better, greener place.  Having the computer screen as a universal utility has many pros. Of course using the display screen is much greener and saves a lot of paper. It is also an easy access to get to.

Using the display screen allows access to many different things especially in school. Many schools now using the computers for taking tests and researching information for projects and assignments. This generation has all types of electronics and as the year goes on, the devices become more convenient. We are now able to use electronics to do what we want as a substitute for paper and news articles. The world is now revolving around these electronics for an easier lifestyle.