Groupthink in Beta

Jamie– I loved the way you organized your inquiry project but I was confused because I think parts 1-4 are not in chronological order but the idea of what you were aiming for was nice. The purpose of your project was very clear and you addressed everything you needed to with clear and detailed information. The thesis was very clear making your project easy to understand.
There was enough research done to show that you had enough knowledge of the topic. All the information presented from other sources were cited and it connected to the reading and helped the statements make more sense, which is good! You could make it more interesting by adding more links, pictures, and videos, as well as setting up your webpage so that it is easier for the reader to navigate through. BUT GOOD WORK!

Talebm – Your inquiry Project is very well organized. Your introduction was very clear and understanding, and each paragraph smoothly transitioned into another paragraph and everything made sense. Your thesis statement was also very clear which made it easier to follow the direction you were headed in for your inquiry project. The problem was clearly addressed and very well supported.You drew a lot of key ideas from your sources to help support your claims. A lot of the references had a direct link to them but the sources that were quoted and ddidn’thave a link were properly referenced. The project is looking great! Adding some visuals, such as pictures and videos would really make this project pop! It would make it more appealing to the reader and it would also help the reader understand exactly what you are discussing and referencing.

#GroupthinkinBeta  #Groupthink

Some Assembly Required

#SomeAssemblyRequired #PortableThought

To demonstrate your knowledge of the material, compose a blog post with at least five sentences indicating the full name of the author(s), the name of the source of reference, the claim you are utilizing from the text in your own words (i.e. paraphrased), and an embedded link in either the source name or author(s) name(s) (wherever it seems to fit best in each case).  Include a block quotation after each sentence to further flesh out the reference, if necessary.

1. Can’t Stop Won’t Stop: A History of the Hip-Hop Generation by Jeff Chang. From a very young age it was evident that the community thought that Afrika Bambaataa would be able to change the world.  People knew that he was special and could positively change the community. They all knew that he could be the one to influence the youth and change the community for the better.

“At some point early on, people had kind of spotted him as somebody to educate and talk about what’s going on in the rest of the world outside of the Bronx. I think he was somehow chosen.”

2. Augmenting Human Intellect: A Conceptual Framework by Douglas Engelbart. Afrika Bambaataa is a great example of mastering the art of using artifacts, language, methodology and training to evolve and change the face of Hip-Hop. He used his skills to persuade and open the eyes of the teens to create this new subculture that still exist today. Complex (magazine) is a perfect example of how “The aspects of the conceptual framework primarily that relating to the human being’s ability to make significant use of such equipment in an integrated system”. The language used in Complex (magazine) catches the audience’s attention and engages them. It makes it an easy place to go and read about the latest trends and important topics from a day to day basis.

“Our culture has evolved means for us to organize the little things we can do with our basic capabilities so that we can derive comprehension from truly complex situations, and accomplish the processes of deriving and implementing problem solutions. The ways in which human capabilities are thus extended are here called augmentation means, and we define four basic classes of them:

• Artifacts–physical objects designed to provide for human comfort, for the manipulation of things or materials, and for the manipulation of symbols.
  • Language–the way in which the individual parcels out the picture of his world into the concepts that his mind uses to model that world, and the symbols that he attaches to those concepts and uses in consciously manipulating the concepts (“thinking”).
  • Methodology–the methods, procedures, strategies, etc., with which an individual organizes his goal-centered(problem-solving) activity.
  • Training–the conditioning needed by the human being to bring his skills in using Means 1, 2, and 3 to the point where they are operationally effective.  

The system we want to improve can thus be visualized as a trained human being together with his artifacts, language, and methodology. The explicit new system we contemplate will involve as artifacts computers, and computer-controlled information-storage, information-handling, and information-display devices. The aspects of the conceptual framework that are discussed here are primarily those relating to the human being’s ability to make significant use of such equipment in an integrated system” (Engelbart).”

3. Afrika Bambaataa: Hip Hop Founding Father by Luke Fenchel. A lot of people don’t understand that Hip-Hop is a cultural movement and it isn’t just music. It includes many things such as music, poetry, dance, graffiti, art, fashion, and design. It originated from the 1970’s in the area of Funk and Reggae.  The Hip-Hop culture is more complex than what people usually see.

Commonly misunderstood simply as rap music, hip hop is a cultural movement that includes emceeing (popularly known as rapping), DJing, graffiti writing, and break dancing. It traces its roots to 1973 and Sedgwick Avenue in the west Bronx, where two locals named DJ Kool Herc and Coke La Rock jammed for a group of kids. Unable to afford instruments, the pair—influenced in part by Jamaican traditions—rhymed over records.”

4. Media Form and Cultural Space: Negotiating Rap “Fanzines” by Murray FormanMany people chose to ignore the fact the Rap and Hip-hop have gone main stream due to the fact that sometimes it can give a negative vibe. But whether we choose to accept it or not, Hip-Hop and Rap is in our everyday lives whether it is acknowledged by people or not because Hip-Hop and Rap is what’s in today, its mainstream.

“Though not long ago music consumers and entertainment industry representatives alike questioned the staying power of the musical style, few would now deny that Rap has gone mainstream, circulating widely in society’s popular consciousness”

5. The Man Who Invented Hip Hop by Zack Greenburg. Bam focused on unity and love. He believed that racism and claiming different skin colors is an illusion to keep us from loving one another. Color has nothing to do with mind and spirit and no one is raised racist, so the fact that racism is even an issue shows how corrupt our society is and how we should change ourselves for the better immediately. That was his vision, to erase the illness of racism and unity everyone with love and brotherhood.

“Everybody needs to show respect to each others’ ways and the cultural life that you get on this planet,” he says. “Don’t get caught up on ‘I’m brown, black, white, red, blue, whatever.’ You gotta ask, what were you called before 1492? All these names we’re using now are just an illusion made to keep us fighting each other.”

6.  Man- Computer Symbiosis. Man-Computer Symbiosis by J.C.R. Licklider. Complex (magazine) is a great example of man-machine symbiosis because the editors go online and constantly upload blog post about the Hip-Hop culture. Afrika Bambaataa is also a perfect example of someone who uses social media to influence the people of the Hip-Hop culture. Soon artist will be able to use new technology to help them spread their vision. As time progresses and technology improves, people will be able to use these man -machine products in order to help spread new ideas more efficiently.

“Man-computer symbiosis is a subclass of man-machine systems. There are many man-machine systems. At present, however, there are no man-computer symbioses. The purposes of this paper are to present the concept and, hopefully, to foster the development of man-computer symbiosis by analyzing some problems of interaction between men and computing machines, calling attention to applicable principles of man-machine engineering, and pointing out a few questions to which research answers are needed. The hope is that, in not too many years, human brains and computing machines will be coupled together very tightly, and that the resulting partnership will think as no human brain has ever thought and process data in a way not approached by the information-handling machines we know today”.

7. Computer Lib/ Dream Machine by Ted Nelson. Complex (magazine) is today’s form of a news channel in the Hip-Hop culture. Giving the people constant updates on the new fades and information. In comparison to Africa Bambaataa and how he used the social media of his time, “public gatherings, decrees, and parades”, to bring together the community to spread his ideas and view of the Hip-Hop culture. Social media is based around communication and culture.  It targets a specific culture and uses the language needed in order to get the attention of its users. This is the technique that all artists use in order to influence a culture. It is evident that social media is vital and most efficient in spreading information and getting ideas exhibited to the general public.

“Media have evolved from simpler forms, and convey the background ideas of our time, as well as the fads. Media today focus the impressions and ideas that in previous eras were conveyed by rituals, public gatherings, decrees, parades, behavior in public, mummer’ troupes . . . but actually every culture is a world of images”

8. The Evolution of Rap Music in the United States by Henry Rhodes. Afrika Bambaataa was the face of Hip-Hop when it was first emerging in the 1970’s. His leadership skills drove him to create the Zulu Nation, inspired by the famous African Zulu Chief. This organization was created to eliminate drugs and gang violence and replace it with music, art, graffiti, and dance so that people can escape and be in a happier place.

“There is one other early American DJ that deserves mentioning and that is Afrika Bambaataa. Bam ran a sound system at the Bronx River Community Center. As Bob Marley was a spokesperson for reggae, Bam was an ambassador and spokesperson for the Hip Hop culture. Afrika Bambaataa was the name of a famous 19th century Zulu chief, the name means Affectionate Leader. Bam took his role as a leader in the Hip Hop culture seriously. In 1975 Bam founded an organization known as the Zulu Nation. The major function of this organization was to replace gang rumbles and drugs with rap, dance, and the Hip Hop style.”

9. Hip- Hop Marketing: An Interview With Nah Right’s Eskay by Dan Zarella. Social media is one of the easiest ways to spread information in today’s world. Everything revolves around technology so people are constantly keeping up through new information  and communicating to one another through the web. Artist use social media as a way to get the audiences attention. They need a spot to broadcast their talents and have it spread instantly. Its the most important marketing tool that they use to help enhance their careers and talents.

I think social media contributes to the public’s awareness about an artist and that awareness then (hopefully) turns into album or single sales. Social media in the context of any recording artist is a marketing tool, and like any marketing tool can backfire on you and end up hurting you if you don’t put enough thought into it.”

Inquiry Project Beta

Inquiry Project: Afrika Bambaataa And His Influence on the Hip-Hop Culture.

It was difficult to understand where I should begin and where I wanted the project to look like when I finalized it, but I had a vision and I made it come to life. This included the layout, the pictures, as well as the story-line.  Obviously, my final Inquiry Project needs some tweaking in the conclusion section. I need to make sure that everything flows well so that the audience can thoroughly understand my project and the influence of Africa Bambaataa. Before the Inquiry Project goes live I need to add more details in each of the subtopics and more visuals in terms of videos, music and art, to make it more aesthetically pleasing. So far, I am satisfied with my work and I can’t wait until my Inquiry Project goes live!

#InquiryProjectBeta  #Branding

Honing My Tools

#HoningmyTools #ConnectingIdeas

Reference

Chang, J., DJ Kool Herc. (2005). Can’t Stop Won’t Stop: A History of     the Hip-Hop Generation.  New York, New York: St. Martin’s                 Press.

Engelbart, D. C. (1962, October 1). Augmenting Human Intellect: A Conceptual Framework. Retrieved July 23, 2014, from http://www.dougengelbart.org/pubs/augment-3906.html

Fenchel, L. (2103, March 27). Afrika Bambaataa: Hip Hop Founding Father. Ithaca Times. Retrieved July 23, 2014, from http://www.ithaca.com/arts_and_entertainment/article_fe558144-965c-11e2-99bf-001a4bcf887a.html

Forman, M. (1995). Media form and cultural space: Negotiating rap “fanzines”. Journal of Popular Culture, 29(2), 171-188. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/1718525?accountid=13401

Greenburg, Z. (2009, July 9). The Man Who Invented Hip Hop. Forbes. Retrieved July 23, 2014, from http://www.forbes.com/2009/07/09/afrika-bambaataa-hip-hop-music-business-entertainment-cash-kings-bambaataa.html

Licklider, J. (1960, March 1). Man- Computer Symbiosis. Man-Computer Symbiosis. Retrieved July 23, 2014, from http://groups.csail.mit.edu/medg/people/psz/Licklider.html

Nelson, T. (n.d.). Computer Lib/ Dream Machine. . Retrieved July 23, 2014, from http://www.newmediareader.com/book_samples/nmr-21-nelson.pdf 

Rhodes H. A. (2011, December 30). The Evolution of Rap Music in the United States. Retrieved March 27 2013 from Yale-New Haven Teachers Institute:  http://www.yale.edu/ynhti/curriculum/units/1993/4/93.04.04.x.html

Zarrella, D. (n.d.). Hip-Hop Marketing: An Interview with Nah Right’s Eskay. Dan Zarrella RSS. Retrieved July 23, 2014, from http://danzarrella.com/hip-hop-marketing-an-interview-with-nah-rights-eskay.html

LOTF: The Fellowship of the Sources

I had prior knowledge of my topic because I am a Hip-Hop fan but these sources have taught me the details I needed to know about my topic. It has taught me how the Zulu Nation came about, how Afrika Bambataa started his mission of spreading the Hip-Hop culture, and how he used social media to help influence the Hip-Hop culture. I learned that Hip-Hop is more than just music, its about expression and lifestyle.

For my first topic introducing Afrika Bambataa and the Zulu Nation, I will include the article from Forbes and Ithica Times to describe to the readers who Afrika Bambataa is and what his vision was about. My second topic will be about how Afrika Bambataa influenced the Hip-Hop culture.  I will use the articles from Yale and Dan Zarella to help describe and show the things he has done in order to spread the Hip-Hop culture. The last topic I will discuss will be how Bam used social media to influence the Hip Hop culture. I will use the articles from the Journal of Pop Culture, Ted Nelson, Douglas Engelbart, and J.C.R. Licklider, to help describe social media and how he beneficially used it to help influence the culture.

.

Real Estate Search

#RealEstateSearch #Branding

I intend to use WordPress.com as the home for my inquiry project because I’ve been using it for Rams Pages which is derived from Word Press. I’m familiar with how to use the site and I love the way it displays my information, its very simple but design is appealing enough to grab the interest of its viewers. The design displays the images used in the blog post to grab the attention of the reader then supplies the textual details about the topic. That is exactly what I wanted to do, make my Inquiry Project as attractive and interesting to the reader as possible.

Filling my Toolbox

1.  Luke Z. Fenchel, Ithica Times, Afrika Bambataa: Hip Hop Founding Father

2. M. Forman,  Journal of Popular Culture,  Media form and cultural space: Negotiating rap “fanzines”.

3. H. A.  Rhodes,  Yale, The Evolution of Rap Music in the United States.       

4. Dan Zarrella, Hip Hop Marketing: Interview With Nah Right’s Eskay, 

5. Zack Greenburg, Forbes, The Man Who Invented Hip-Hop

6. Ted Nelson, Computer Lib/ Dream Machines

7. Douglas C. Engelbart, Doug Engelbart Institute, Augmenting Human Intellect: A Conceptual Framework

8. J.C.R. Licklider, Transactions of Human Factors in Electronics, Man Computer Symbiosis

Interior Design

Typically, it is understood the Hip-Hop is a subculture that involves, music. art, fashion, design, and dance. It’s targeted towards teens and young adults. It focuses on the newest fades and most recent and innovative ideas. Its a subculture that’s constantly changing due to new interests and different audience. I find that the majority of -people who aren’t fans of Hip-Hop associate it with drugs, sexuality, and gangs relations. Hip-Hop is not associated with those things but maybe some of the artist that are involved in the Hip-Hop culture grew up with those things in their neighborhood by default, so unwillingly it has become apart of their lives. So when expressing their life story through music, fashion, dance, etc., those topics are brought up because it is basically all they know. This issue is significant to understand because I don’t want people to think that drugs, sexuality, and gang relations is all that Hip-Hop is about. Hip-Hop is a gateway for these artist to express themselves and paint their life stories. When researching this topic and issue I read a lot about the biography of these artist to better understand where they are coming from because it helps me understand why they express themselves the way they do and their purpose. I think people should embrace the positive aspects Hip-Hop has brought to the trouble kids in trouble neighbors and how Hip-Hop was a gateway to freedom for these people from these troubled cities. Hip-Hop brought unity and peace to many cities when the only thing these cities were involved in was gang related violence and drugs.  I wish to show this through the life of Afrika Bambataa and how he helped create the Hip-Hop culture to unite the troubled cities for positive reasons.

EXAMPLE:

-A music video about a Hip-Hop artist named Mase from Harlem, NYC, NY., finally returning to the rap game. The music video takes place in his neighborhood in Harlem. Pay attention to the lyrics he talks about a lot!

– This song create by Nas and how he used rap as an escape the negative environment he grew up in. He also expresses the negative things going on in society to bring it to the attention of his listeners.

Future Connections

The nugget and my concept experience connect because they both relate to technology advancing as population and visions grow. When more ideas are expressed the more advanced technology gets. The dynabook was a device that was visioned to do many things that a computer could do but more and be easily accessible. Now in today’s society we have many versions of the “Dynabook”. We have Laptops, Smart TV’s, iPhone’s, Samsungs, etc., that are easily accessible and do all the things that a computer can do plus more! Complex magazine and social media, is a product from the evolution of technology.  Complex magazine can inform the the pubic of everything that is going on in the Hip-Hop culture in just arms reach of a computer. It is easily accessible and it gives the audience all the information and news that they need. Complex magazine will only advance in and become bigger and better and soon become everything that I envision in my Future Thoughts post.

I love everything that Jamie mentioned in her Future Thoughts approach, she talked about the future from a completely different point of view. I love the triangle diagram she put up and how “WIFI” was written as the base and in red. I think that is so true. The world is truly going to be completely dependent on technology at the rate that it is going at now. Sooner or later we won’t be able to live without technology and everything we do will be dependent on it. Imagine being controlled by technology, and not by a government!!! Scary.

I love the idea that Morganne proposed about radio technology and its advancements. I also believe that ten years from now we will be able to see holographic images of artist performing, coming from our devices. The radio will become more than just a “talk show” and Pandora will evolve into something huge! Just like Morganne suggested it may branch out to audio books, movies, concerts, etc. Even though it won’t evolve drastically, it will still change end evolve for the better.

I agree with TheKhanQuest in that Wikipedia will still be the same in the sense that it’ll be free, but I do think that it’ll develop and have better images and holographic images to better represent what each Wikipedia post is discussing. It is true that Wikipedia serves as a universal purpose meaning that it will still remain easily accessible for all causing it not to change drastically but still enough to be more beneficial!

All of these thesis are similar to mine because we all discussed how technology is going to advance through imagery and accessibility. Even though ten years is not that long to change drastically, its enough time to still advance positively.

Future Thoughts

In ten years I believe Complex magazine would be bigger than what it is now. It would expand so largely that they would have to cover all the topics on their website religiously. They would create and build a head quarters so that they would have a place where they can hold interviews, showcase the latest fashion and art, as well as have a news channel/session for it’s viewers. The head quarters would be a place where all their avid viewers and audience members can go to retrieve all the information needed about the Hip-Hop industry. There would still be some limitations to how many artist they can book,  how well they can spread their information in person, and how well they can influence their audience verses not having to do any of that on the online website. Because the spread of information is going to be in person and more hands on, they would be limited to how many people they can affect  in person due to showing face and expression  verses online interaction. I still believe due to these limitation Complex magazine could grow into something bigger and better.

———————————— EDIT. ———————————-

For my inquiry project, I want to argue how the use of language in the Complex magazine blog post can affect the emotions and thoughts of its viewers. I’m trying to show that sometimes things are depicted differently than what they truly are, just by the use of a couple of words. I am trying to shed light on how influential social media can be and how easy it is to believe anything that is written or told without having prior knowledge about the information.  I am trying to advocate viewers to pay more attention and research information about a certain topic instead of believing everything that is told or what is in front of their eyes.  To show this, I wanted to make a collage of comments written on their blog post through their website, Twitter, and Instagram, etc., that shows the audience emotions towards that topic. That way I could have a visual to how influential words can be towards emotion and feeling.  It is important to know the history behind things so that you are not easily fooled or influenced.