Augmenting Human Intellect…

Our culture has evolved means for us to organize the little things we can do with our basic capabilities so that we can derive comprehension from truly complex situations, and accomplish the processes of deriving and implementing problem solutions. The ways in which human capabilities are thus extended are here called augmentation means, and we define four basic classes of them:

• Artifacts–physical objects designed to provide for human comfort, for the manipulation of things or materials, and for the manipulation of symbols.
  • Language–the way in which the individual parcels out the picture of his world into the concepts that his mind uses to model that world, and the symbols that he attaches to those concepts and uses in consciously manipulating the concepts (“thinking”).
  • Methodology–the methods, procedures, strategies, etc., with which an individual organizes his goal-centered (problem-solving) activity.
  • Training–the conditioning needed by the human being to bring his skills in using Means 1, 2, and 3 to the point where they are operationally effective.   

The system we want to improve can thus be visualized as a trained human being together with his artifacts, language, and methodology. The explicit new system we contemplate will involve as artifacts computers, and computer-controlled information-storage, information-handling, and information-display devices. The aspects of the conceptual framework that are discussed here are primarily those relating to the human being’s ability to make significant use of such equipment in an integrated system.

_____________________________________________________________________

I chose this nugget because it altered the way I thought about our culture. Every time a new idea came about, whether it was in the form of a song, fashion statement, or even a new invention, I would stop and think of the process those people might have taken to get to that point. I always believed that they just had gifted and talented minds because their thought process was very complex. Douglas Engelbart states, “Our culture has evolved means for us to organize the little things we can do with our basic capabilities so that we can derive comprehension from truly complex situations”. To me this meant that people use their basic abilities to figure out more complex things and come up with new things. The second I read that sentence, it clicked in my head that these people who are so inspiring and innovative aren’t just talented, they take the time to use their basic abilities to analyze situations and come up with more complex and new things. They use artifacts, language, methodology and training to come up with excellent inventions and ideas.

Everything Engelbart mentioned in this nugget relates back to my text of Hip-Hop and Complex (magazine) because Hip-Hop is a subculture for teens which involves the inventions of new fashion, music, and art, on a daily basis. Nothing in Hip-Hop is consistent because every one involved in the subculture is trying to come up with the latest and best thing. These people do this by using their general and basic knowledge of Hip-Hop to come up with some thing even better, or something that has not been “made” before. Artists are consistently in a battle with one another to be the best in whichever subject they choose to master (fashion, art, music, etc) and that is what drives a change in the Hip-Hop community. Afrika Bambataa mastered the art of using artifacts, language, methodology and training to evolve and change the face of Hip-Hop. He used his skills to persuade and open the eyes of the teens to create this new subculture that still exist today. Complex (magazine) is a perfect example of how “The aspects of the conceptual framework .. primarily those relating to the human being’s ability to make significant use of such equipment in an integrated system” because the online blog is a perfect way to practice those skills that Engelbart discussed. It a place where everyone can go online and read about the latest trends and important topics from a day to day basis. It’s also a tool that leads the culture to evolve constantly because the information that is posted is accessible at any time and anywhere for the Hip-Hop culture to enjoy!

EDIT.

I chose this nugget because it altered the way I thought about the subculture of Hip-Hop. Every time a new idea came about, whether it was in the form of a song, fashion statement, or even a new invention, I would stop and think about the process these people might experienced to get to the point of innovation. I used to believe that these people had gifted and talented minds because their thought process was very complex, but its simpler than that. Douglas Engelbart states, “Our culture has evolved means for us to organize the little things we can do with our basic capabilities so that we can derive comprehension from truly complex situations”. This meant that people use their basic abilities to help them figure out and understand more complex things leading them to become innovative. The moment I read that sentence, a light bulb went off in my head. These people who are so inspiring and innovative aren’t just talented, they take the time to use their basic abilities to analyze situations and come up with more complex and new things.  Using Engelbart’s breakdown and definition of understanding complex things makes it easier to understand how and why these artist are so talented. They use artifacts, language, methodology and training to come up with excellent inventions and ideas.

Everything Engelbart mentioned in this nugget relates back to Hip-Hop and Complex (magazine) because Hip-Hop is a subculture for teens. This subculture revolves around the basis of new inventions in fashion, music, and art, on a daily basis. Nothing in Hip-Hop is consistent or static because the subculture survives off of creating the latest and best inventions. These people do this by using their general and basic knowledge of Hip-Hop to come up with some thing even better, or something that has not been “made” before. Artists are consistently in a battle with one another to be the best in whichever subject they choose to master (fashion, art, music, etc) and that is what drives a change in the Hip-Hop community. Afrika Bambaataa is a great example of mastering the art of using artifacts, language, methodology and training to evolve and change the face of Hip-Hop. He used his skills to persuade and open the eyes of the teens to create this new subculture that still exist today. Complex (magazine) is a perfect example of how “The aspects of the conceptual framework .. primarily those relating to the human being’s ability to make significant use of such equipment in an integrated system” because the online blog is a perfect way to practice those skills that Engelbart discussed. It a place where everyone can go online and read about the latest trends and important topics from a day to day basis. It’s also a tool that leads the culture to evolve constantly because the information that is posted is accessible at any time and anywhere for the Hip-Hop culture to enjoy. Complex (magazine) allows us to keep up with the Hip-hop culture daily and still keep up with the present fades.

http://rampages.us/majeeds/2014/06/23/augmenting-human-intellect-nugget/

Sara Majeed’s post related to mine because she also believed that in order to achieve the complex state of mind you need to utilize your basic skills first. She discusses how language was vital in having strong communication and I believe that as well, because without having the same understanding of the same language there is no communication because the other recipient is processing the information, therefore no one’s point is getting across. In order to be intelligent and gain complexity you will have to be able to communicate with others to get your thoughts and ideas across.

http://rampages.us/jamieparkerson/2014/06/23/nugget-3/

Jamie mentioned the topic of how talent leads to advancement and new ideas. I also brought that up in my nugget post as well. I also believe that music is a sector of culture where innovation is very vital in keeping the culture alive. Without constant innovations there will be nothing to keep the culture going. In order to keep the culture alive, you must take what is already given and amplify it with a twist, you must do it and make sure it is what the culture will enjoy and that is exactly what Jamie is talking about when she mentions how musical styles and trends are created through revising and reviving other musical styles and trends. By the way, I have never heard of Bounce until I looked it up just now and I love it! Very old school T.I. and Lil Wayne type of feel when they make upbeat, hype music.

http://rampages.us/khairnique/2014/06/24/nugget-3-language/

Normonique’s post talked about how language is essential in making processes more efficient. This post was very similar to mine in the aspect of trying to use a source of common speech in order to get a point across or hold conversation. Normonique mentions that, “Neurotechnology has the potential to enhance our personal communication inside and outside (how we interpret) our body”. I agree that Neurotechnology can be one of the greatest advancements of all time because if it can enhance our personal communication skills inside and out then, our culture can shift and advance tremendously just because our means of communication would be better.

4 thoughts on “Augmenting Human Intellect…”