Beautiful Belle Isle

20141025_141111

This past weekend me and my friend Eden went to Belle Isle. I have been to Belle Isle before but never when I had nothing else planned for the whole day and certainly never with someone who loves to explore just as much as I do. We had the whole day to bask in the sun and climb all over old ruins like little monkeys. I have always loved exploring. From abandoned houses to new cities, being surrounded with unfamiliar makes me feel new. Fresh. Excited. Within our city city, there is a place for every mood. I have enjoyed so much exploring all of these places and experiencing all of the emotions each of them project. Belle Isle is something special within Richmond, though. There are so many winding paths, enclosed with trees and brush. There are rocks to bask on for hours in the soft sunlight. There are even beautiful, mysterious ruins to climb upon. As Eden and I explored, hours passed. We climbed around talking and listening to music. It was so nice to move away from the city and and let my mind slow down, adjusting from a fast paced, very stressful past week.

It was so satisfying to be surrounded with other people who appreciate the outdoors as much as I do. It brought me so much joy to be amongst nature and close to water. It made me miss home. In Lovettsville, where I grew up, I lived about five minutes from the Potomac River and about twenty minutes from Harpers Ferry. Over the summer, we went tubing nearly every week, spending whole days outside sitting on rocks and calmly floating down the river. In the fall, we often hike up Maryland Heights and sit for hours at the top of the overlook and watch life go by. In those moments, life is far enough away that I can comfortably analyze it. I have space to be mindful of the moment I am in and appreciate the people who surround me in that moment. Unfortunately, that doesn’t happen every day.

Little things, such as the feeling of fresh, warm sunlight on my skin as I walk into shade make me feel so happy. The energy I feel as I put my palms on cool rock and plant my feet on solid ground is something that sustains me. I am recharged in these moments- I leave with the power I need to make it through another week. Life is hard. School is stressful. Things that make my heart feel love and my mind feel strength are things I have to continuously commit myself to doing, even when I am too tired. If we don’t do these things, we fall into a predictable and emotionless routine. I suppose I can only speak for myself, but when I don’t feed my creative, emotional side, I start to become very stagnant in my schedule and in my mind.

As this week begins, even with all of the stress that has already piled up on my schedule (enough to give me a neck cramp), I am more present throughout my day. I am ready to take on the things I have to to have a successful week. I’m thankful for Eden’s friendship. Since meeting her, she has brightened my life tremendously. Sharing my day with her Saturday was such a blessing.

6 thoughts on “Beautiful Belle Isle

• October 27, 2014 at 7:27 pm

“I have space to be mindful of the moment I am in and appreciate the people who surround me in that moment. ”

The concept of being engaged in the moment is a valuable habit. I hope you can continue to experience mindfulness not only in wonderful places like Belle Isle but in all the places you live your life. Good luck with that…

It’s taken me a lifetime.

• October 29, 2014 at 4:20 am

The way you describe Eden is very sweet, and she probably feels the same about having you as a friend. Your love for the outdoors is very evident in the imagery you use to describe it; it has the effect of captivating your reader. You seem to embody the concept that the best things in life are free, which is a really valuable characteristic to have. Additionally, I totally agree with you in how not doing what we love causes us to live predictable and emotionless routines.

• October 29, 2014 at 7:23 pm

I love going to Belle Isle to explore!!! Taking different routes back to the bridge, I also want to look at that abandoned building everyone talks about! I love sitting on the rocks at Belle Isle, absorbing the warm sun while you watch the busy city so close by. We should go exploring sometime!!

• October 29, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Let’s go pretty woman! I’m so down. I’ll message you soon and we can go roam about before the cold comes.

• October 29, 2014 at 8:25 pm

I really enjoy all the vivd description you provided about Belle Isle! It makes me want to go and explore. It sounds like you had a really liberating and refreshing day. I know how the school week can seriously stress us out so it’s good you found a way to wind down. Take me with you next time!

• November 4, 2014 at 1:49 am

I like how visiting Belle Isle brings back memories of your adventures on the Potomac and at Harper’s Ferry. Being in a city and adjusting to college, escaping to Belle Isle is perfect to get back with nature and just relax! Im glad you enjoyed it before it got too cold outside!