Who Am I At First Search?

Who you really are and who you are on the internet aren’t always the same person, especially if you have changed and grown a lot over time. I am sad for the people who’s unflattering moments are all over the internet. What a horrible way to learn your lesson about social media and technology. I’m also very grateful that none of my bad decisions ended up defining my digital identity. There was definitely a time in my life, and I’m sure in everyone else’s, where I felt as if I was invincible. I thought there were no consequences to my actions. There was no evidence. Nothing could have hurt my reputation because I just didn’t care what anyone thought of me. I liked me.. and so did my boyfriend and best friend. That was all that mattered.

I was so very wrong. My logic was non-existent. I was a teenager; young and reckless, entirely too prideful, totally naive. I am glad that none of the things I did in this time of my life got on the internet. There were definitely mistakes that could have costed me still today. I have learned from them and grown more than I ever imagined possible. It’s a truly beautiful feeling to look back and see how much progress you have made. Change is possible, for everyone.

This is why it is sad when people are bound to their mistakes through their digital identities. While I think it’s wrong that this has to be the way it is, it’s just the reality of our technology oriented society. Luckily, with time, there are ways to reverse any damage you may have done over the years and phases of your life.

When I googled my name, nothing came up except for an old photo of me from when I was a freshman in high school. I had creepy looking curled hair and had just gotten my braces off. My Facebook link also came up. I am lucky that nothing worse comes up when my name is searched. I know a lot of people who are working to create a better profile for themselves so they can be taken seriously when searched on the web.

In efforts to have a very respectable online profile that is also true to who I am, I recently deleted my old Facebook and made a new one. I went from 2,000 “friends” to 40 friends. The 40 friends I have now are people I actually care about. My old Facebook was pages and pages of useless information about people that had no place in my life. Now, I can scroll through Facebook and enjoy doing so without either being disturbed or annoyed by what I see.

These changes are necessary and important when trying to create a respectful digital identity. I can now move forward with my educational career while looking professional to teachers, family and look good for potential jobs I might have.

One thought on “Who Am I At First Search?

• November 6, 2014 at 4:17 am

I can’t even begin to tell you how much I relate to what you are writing here. Especially being lucky enough to not have all of the things you have done in the internet. It’s sad that everyone judges you by your past, a past that you cannot get rid of, and it haunts you forever. But realizing it this early is a great way to actually stop and begin creating this identity online for everyone to know you by. Thanks for a great read 🙂