Precious Time

It’s taken me years to understand the value and importance of time. I still have so much to learn. Time is something that you can never get back. Once it’s passed, it’s passed. It goes back into the cycle of life and is no longer yours to take advantage of. There are so many ways to waste time.. Some are okay, but most truly are just wastes of valuable, precious time.

I think it’s accurate that in order to succeed at something, you first have to try methods that don’t work for you… again and again. Most methods won’t work right off the bat, usually they need to be adjusted and rearranged. This is how learning time management skills went for me.

When I was younger, there was absolutely no management of time in my life.  It took a lot of bone-rattling experiences to show me time’s value for me to start to manage my time better. I realized what priorities needed to be first and slowly became familiar with what it felt like to be proud of myself. Who knew being respected and getting good grades would feel so good and be so empowering? I surely didn’t then but now I do. Once you get a taste of being proud, it is enough to want that feeling for a lifetime. I no longer searched for that feeling in friends or romantic relationships. I didn’t need to. I didn’t need these people to distract me anymore. Those people and those activities were truly wastes of my time. They did help me see that life can be managed so much more efficiently and healthfully though, so I am thankful for that.

As I grew up, I began to organize the ways in which I spent my time. I saw the benefits of balancing work and play. When your priorities are in line, amazing things happen. Things get done. Life changes. However, instead of the change being something that you’re constantly one step behind, you are the change. The change is you. This filled me with a unique kind of strength. The kind that carried into every aspect of my life. I could give it away as a gift to my loved ones. Strong, positive emotions like inner peace, self respect and a strong sense of self are contagious. I am so honored that someone helped me feel those feelings and also that I am able to project these empowering feelings onto the people in my life.

One thought on “Precious Time

• November 3, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Time is so very important and is the greatest gift we will ever receive. I’m glad that you appreciate it as much as I do and understand that if we use our time correctly we don’t have to feel stressed. Nevertheless, even when I plan out everything I need to do, I still feel stressed by the daunting assignments that have yet to be completed. When those assignments are completed I always feel so accomplished just like you said. My biggest struggle is actually doing the work, but appreciating time like you said might be helpful when pushing through challenging assignments.