Stick It Out

Oh, wow. My first semester at a real university has almost passed. Who knew you could learn SO much in such a short period of time? In a few months, I have learned more about myself than I even thought possible. Everything I thought I knew about myself, I didn’t know. I definitely didn’t give myself enough credit. It’s crazy how bad a person can need change without realizing change is what they need most. I could have comfortably stayed back home for the rest of my life. I could have found a purpose for myself. I could have made it work. I could have maintained a happy, healthy life. If I had never left, though, I would have never seen how the move I made to Richmond has opened up my life more than I could have ever imagined. I always knew change was an essential component to growth, but I had never experienced it in such a overwhelming and transformative way.

Thousands of people come from all over the world to one university. So many different personality types, spiritual backgrounds and lifestyles.. all in one place. Isn’t that amazing? We all came here for the same purpose- to find our purpose. What a unifying ambition.

Even so, when I first came to college, I felt so alone. I had no friends. It wasn’t any different from back home because I had no friends there either. It’s not to say that the time I spent alone over my year off of school wasn’t the best gift I could have allowed myself, I’m only trying to say that after a while being alone becomes less enjoyable. My natural need for companionship was growing increasingly noticeable.

I waited two months after I moved in for the “right” friends to come along. I knew that when I met them, I would know they were the right fit for me. In those two months, I met a lot of people that were nice and funny but they lacked the kind of personality that I love most in a friend. As time passed, of course, I got discouraged. It’s easy to get discouraged. It’s even natural. It’s not easy to stay true to yourself and have faith in yourself and the universe that you are worth the friendship of the people you really, really want to be friends with.

To many young people, the need for social interaction is so intense that they let themselves become whatever it is will give them social and emotional support, however true to themselves it may or may not be. The thing these people don’t realize is that if they just wait a few more weeks, stick it out a few more weeks, they will find the friends they’ve been waiting for. They will find the other people that are waiting for friends that really build them up and push them to be their best while respecting their boundaries. There are people out there that don’t want to settle for anything but the best in friendships, too, and they are so worth waiting for. Having a healthy support group is essential to making the best grades and having the best experiences. Without these people to support you, it becomes very hard to stay motivated, excited  about learning and true to yourself along the journey. Without the grades and life-changing experiences, college isn’t what it’s supposed to be.

College (and life) should be a beautiful, challenging, happy, sad, confusing experience filled with honest, loving people. Anything other than that and I’m pretty sure you’re doing it wrong.

If I could give any advice, I would say.. Stay true to you. The right people with show up. Go do things you love. Even if they’re new or scary, if they are something you are interested in, then go do it. Explore your life and explore your passions. Let yourself grow. Along the way, you will find the people that want to grow and live as much as you do. When you meet them, you will know.

Below is one of my favorite quotes. I have this quote on my wall as a constant reminder to live my life through my own eyes..

“Don’t get stuck. Move, travel, take a class, take a risk. There is a season for wildness and a season for settledness, and this is neither. This season is about becoming. Now is your time. Walk closely with people you love. Don’t get stuck in the past, and don’t try to fast-forward yourself into a future you haven’t yet earned. Give today all the love and intensity and courage you can, and keep travelling honestly along life’s path.”