“No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you’re still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.” Tony Robbins

I chose this quote from a google search of “quotes about mistakes.”

I decided that writing about what I am going through might lead to some help in overcoming my struggles. So, as you can probably gather by now, I am searching for some success.

Currently, I have been facing a lot of failure in my academic career and it has hit me quite differently than before. I have never failed or made so many mistakes in my classes and education than I have now. Sure, I’ve failed an assignment or made some mistakes on my schoolwork in the past but never to the degree of repeated failure I am experiencing now.

So, what am I going to do about it? Well, at first I started off by making yet another mistake of saying that I cannot do it. That my efforts will never be sufficient. That I am just too tired. This is unacceptable.

Letting the feelings of despair and gloom finally wash away I have woken up to this realization. That is, I will not be done until I stop trying. Examining how I approach material and how I use the resources available I can say that I am not using all the help I can get. Viewing my own situation from the outside I can look at myself and see that to make progress I need to stop comparing my progress to others. If I were to continue this comparative behavior then I would truly give up.

In search of some attributing factors to this problem I am finding culprits in deceit. I lied to myself about the difficultly that this semester would bring. I knew that this semester would bring about a level of dedication and time commitment to be successful but the degree of that difficulty was not going to be fully understood until I was in the middle of it.  Now, here I am in the middle of it and with that knowledge of how hard the semester is and I realize that my mistakes are plentiful. I should have made changes earlier to my habits but instead I just trusted that I could prevail all on my own.

If I did not turn to my friends for help then I would have already seen complete failure. That is the greatest lesson that I have learned from this experience. That I cannot succeed on my own and that I cannot lie to myself again. I have learned that being realistic with my current situation will prevent many headaches in the future. I have also learned that I need to experience failure. Seeing that this is the first time that I have had a great academic failure in my life I am learning quite a lot from this experience. I wish that these life lessons were learned earlier in my education but I would rather now than later.  Yet, it still all boils down to the choice I make after acknowledging my mistakes. I must make changes now to better the situation I am in to see myself succeed.

These lessons are also applicable to life in general and I guess that learning these lessons  and making a change is part of becoming an adult, something that I am trying to do at this stage in my life.

One Reply to ““No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you’re still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.” Tony Robbins”

1. I think that this is a very relatable post. I don’t know if I’d call what I’m going through failure, but it definitely isn’t as good as it used to be, and it can become depressing. I agree that saying you can’t do something and that you’re too tired aren’t good excuses and that they are unacceptable. I think that turning to friends and other supportive people is a good idea because every successful person has people behind that helped them be great and succeed. It is still okay to make mistakes here and there but to not take them too seriously is the key.