Writer’s Choice: The CSCS

I became a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) in July of 2018. I chose to earn this certification after my first clinical rotation in outpatient orthopedics. During my rotation, I noticed many athletes coming in with questions about how to get back to sports, when they could start x, y, or z again. I also noticed my clinical instructor was able to come up with creative and challenging therapeutic exercises for these patients that never would have crossed my mind just coming straight form entry level physical therapy.

I have always had an interest in sports because of my background in Division I athletics for swimming but I have not had a large span of knowledge on how to help people return to other sports. By obtaining my CSCS, I have learned a variety of alternative therapeutic exercises and general needs for specific sports. I have gained insight into exercise prescription for specific athletic events and basic nutrition needs for sport specific athletes. I feel that this certification can only help me for providing care to patients regardless of their athletic ability. Having a variety of approaches to therapeutic exercise treatment will be beneficial for me as a new graduate.