Introduction to Industrialization of Food Systems

Notes

While watching the video, I wasn’t surprised the categories under industrialization that were mentioned in the video.  The one that really surprised me though was the concentration, where companies have a monopoly over the meat.  After learning that, it made sense why their isn’t a larger demand for change, when other options are limited.

The grossest thing that I watched though during this talk was the pesticide ecosystem impacts.  While watching this, and listening how sex reversal in amphibians is happening, and immune systems in sea animals are being infected, makes me sit here and make me think “this will be happening to us too, if it isn’t already.”  It’s hard to understand how we aren’t fully educated, and aren’t given better health options when these facts are out there.

I have to go to the grocery store today, and will be looking instead now for cage free, grass fed, organic meat, even though it’ll make a dent in my pocket.  So interesting that the government before was wondering how to make food more affordable, when we now still have food that is not only not affordable, but also far less healthy.

1 Comment

1. September 2, 2014 6:56 pm  Reply

The most surprising for me when watching the video like you mentioned was the pesticide ecosystem impacts involving sex reversal in amphibians. As well as immune deficiencies created among sea animals. You make a great point about these issues and mutations happening to animals may effect us in the future if they have not already. I would agree that greater actions need to be taken to prevent these situations from worsening in the future. I mentioned in one of our other classmates postings that I hope they are also working to find way to reverse the damage done towards ecosystems.