Toddler Speak

Our reading of Paradise Lost on Tuesday was interesting! I say this because I half loved it and half hated it. I loved the flow of the poetry (when we didn’t pause between books… I have no clue why that took me out, but it did), but I hated the awkwardness of everyone before they adjusted to the cadence. Not to bash on anyone because I sounded awkward at times too, but just keeping it real.

The act of reading aloud this old form of English with our own context and modern minds at play with connotations and ‘proper’ spellings reminds me a lot of the process I witness at work. In the PreSchool/Daycare I work at, something I’m always doing is reworking my language to be understood by all the chicken nuggets (read: kids). It was hard not to laugh at the point in PL where Milton writes “methought I saw,” because it literally sounds like something out of one of the two year old’s mouths.

This is a strange post to reflect on our reading circle with, but I thought others would enjoy to think about the fact that we are using our brains in very interesting ways by reading aloud and we should always continue to! Like Reagan said in their blog post, Paradise Lost was composed orally, and so it is in our best interested to consume it so.

I don’t mean to offend anyone by calling this post “Toddler Speak,” Toddlers are learning and developing at a very fast rate and you wish you could absorb knowledge and language and culture like a Tod again — ya heard?

1 Comment

Add yours →

1. I think one of the big factors as to why some of our numbers sounded so awkward, aside from a different way of speaking, is the very act of speaking out loud. Public speaking is one of peoples’ biggest fears, as the old joke says: at a funeral, most people would prefer to be in the casket than giving the eulogy.