I can’t figure out what to make of the reference to Samson and Dalilah that we get in book 9 after the fall. There’s a lot of discussion around the fall in regards to gender because people like to say it’s Eve’s fault that Adam ate of the fruit. I don’t think it’s Eve’s fault, though. In a way she acts as an extension to Satan by ultimately convincing Adam to eat of the fruit as she did, which is the same way that she was convinced. The serpent told her he had ate from it and was fine as she told Adam, and if Adam believes that reason is law, then he has a free will and can make choices then it is not Eve’s fault that he ate of the apple. It was Adam’s weakness.

Milton writes, “so rose the Danite strong Herculean Samson from the harlot-lap of Philistean Dalilah,” comparing Adam to Samson, a character from the bible that lost his strength when he was betrayed by his lover who cut his hair (which was the source of said strength). The comparison is a bit harsh in my opinion because of how it reflects on Eve as almost a villain. Like, it wasn’t Eve that forced Adam to fall, it was Adam’s decision to fall. The story of Adam and Eve’s fall and how they fall together in unity is representative of equality between man and woman, but specifically husband and wife.  I’m curious by how Milton wrote it, if he sees that or if he truly does believe that Eve is the one to blame.