Okay, I just saw Hamilton today and it was absolutely fantastic. I had been exposed to the musical four years ago and have grown to learn all the lyrics, intricacies of the plot, and all the fun historical context around it. Other than the amazing choreography, the lyrics really build the show and the characters. One of my favorite things to think about while listening to musicals is how the different characters adopt their own melody or cadence of singing/rapping throughout the whole show and how those signature moves in the music characterize them. For example, at the beginning of the musical while Hamilton is younger, before the war, his words and rapping style is much more upbeat and fast paced to match his energy and personality at that point in his life (think ‘My Shot’). After his son is born, after the war, and he’s completely floored at his new son, his rhymes get weaker and less complex to match the awe in his personality (like in ‘Dear Theodosia”).

While I was watching the show today I thought about that fact and tried to pay attention to it and see if I could pick it up, but I found myself thinking about Milton and how people compared Lin Manuel-Miranda to Shakespeare for the way the rhyme and rhythm contribute to the characterization of a character, if Milton would have had used a similar method. I feel like it’s evident with how Eve speaks. This article I found shows the ways that Milton’s word choice for Eve. Most notably, the article points to the final speech given by Eve and how compared to Adam’s prosody¬† she is much more composed, much more calm and secure in herself than Adam (which I think mimics the consensus Dr. C made at the end of class on Thursday about how Eve really learned the most).