Personal Dynamic Media Nugget

I reflected upon the reading Personal Dynamic Media  and remain amazed. It was not long ago when our world was changed. Some of the younger participants in this course may not appreciate some of the technological changes as much as some of the faculty. To contextualize without a laundry list of…

Job Security

In reflecting upon my reading of Nelson's Computer Lib/Dream Machines, I abandoned my fascination with the drawings and the structures,  and  focused upon some of the detractors. I was drawn to comments made by a business person asserting that computers would lead to the demise of the individual or one's worth…

Semi-automated, not symbiotic (?)

In reflecting on Man-Computer Symbiosis (Licklider, 1960), there is a clear argument that the benefits of computerization of industry, even on a micro-scale, is nothing but logic on steroids. However, that is very powerful and can provide great benefit to man. We have seen this to be so. Automated assembly…

How it feels to think

Reflecting upon the article As We May Think written by Dr. Bush in the 1940s, I was easily able to contextualize the narrative as having been written yesterday. While ideas and ideals were posited regarding a better new day, those also hold truth presently. The various restraints on man preventing him from exercising…