Death Penalty

There have been and always will be cases of executions of innocent people. No matter how developed a justice system is, it will always remain susceptible to human failure. Unlike prison sentences, the death penalty is irreversible and irreparable. The death penalty is incompatible with human rights and human dignity. The death penalty violates the right to life ,which happens to be the most basic of all human rights. It also violates the right not to be subjected to torture and other cruel, inhumane or degrading treatment or punishment. Furthermore, the death penalty undermines human dignity which is inherent to every human being. Public support for the death penalty does not necessarily mean that taking away the life of a human being by the state is right. There are undisputed historical precedents where gross human rights violations had the support of a majority of the people, but which were condemned vigorously later on. It is the job of leading figures and politicians to underline the incompatibility of capital punishment with human rights and human dignity. It needs to be pointed out that public support for the death penalty is inextricably linked to the desire of the people to be free from crime. However, there are other effective ways to prevent crime. The death penalty lacks the deterrent effect which is commonly referred to by its advocates. As recently stated by the General Assembly of the United Nations, “there is no conclusive evidence of the deterrent value of the death penalty”(UN News). It is noteworthy that in many states, the effectiveness of the death penalty in order to prevent crime is being seriously questioned by a continuously increasing number of law enforcement professionals. Lewis Lawes, warden of Sing prison in NY, says “as if one crime of such nature, done by a single man, acting individually, can be expiated by a similar crime done by all men, acting collectively”(Falco, 2014).

Reference

Falco, H. (2014, September 06). The Insanity of the Death Penalty. Retrieved from https://www.huffingtonpost.com/howard-falco/the-insanity-of-the-death_b_5564612.html

UN News. (n.d.). Senior UN official cites evidence of growing support for abolishing death penalty | UN News. Retrieved from https://news.un.org/en/story/2010/02/330482

1. Wow, I am actually torn about the whole death penalty. On one side I understand why some prisons do it, but on the other hand its like who are you to take someone’s life. You’re literally doing the same thing that person did, because I believe most death penalties happen when heinous crimes are involved. I do believe that instead of the death penalty they should just allow the people to rot in prison forever. One reason I don’t agree with the death penalty because some people are innocent and framed for things and if they get the death penalty and die, then come to find out they didn’t do it you cannot bring that person back, because they are dead. Furthermore, there have been instances where this has happened in the United States, so I really believe it should be changed. Especially if people are still committing crimes is it really doing anything to prevent crimes from happening with the death penalty being involved?

2. Ever since high school I have been torn with the whole idea of the death penalty because of the whole meaning behind it. I think that the death penalty shouldn’t be a thing that we do. Just because somebody took an innocent life doesn’t give us the right to take their life. Yes an eye for an eye is a great metaphor but at the same time we as humans have no right to take the life of another human. There have been many cases where people who are on death row are innocent and their cases never get retried in time for the judicial system to change the verdict and then they die over somebody else’s crime. I understand that the death penalty is for crimes that are the worst of the worst but why not just give them life sentences instead without the possibility of parole. I have heard of cases where people get double life sentences and all that means is they will die in prison. So what is the difference between a person dying in prison by life sentence and a person dying by lethal injection? The way I see it tax payer dollars is the difference. It cost money to keep people in prison and it also cost money to conduct lethal injection. But in the light of morals I can see where you stand on this topic.