Groupthink in Beta

It’s clear Mahsa’s inquiry project is about internet anonymity. There are different angles to this problem that Mahsa clearly addresses in her project. I think the significance and debatable aspects of this topic are huge and can be greatly elaborated on.
There is a lot of evidence that Mahsa presents, and it is plain to see that she has done her homework. The evidence she uses she analyzes and elaborates on which makes the topic at hand even clearer.
I didn’t see a bibliography or works cites attached, but Mahsa did correctly link to her sources in her project.
Mahsa’a main claim is how internet anonymity is affecting the way we use the internet. From cyberbullying to cat-fishing, internet anonymity plays a big role in the use of present day World Wide Web.
I honestly think Mahsa did a great job and I enjoyed reading about her project. I don’t think much else needs to be done, except maybe a proofread to fix some grammar issues. Other than that, it’s awesome. I forgot how detrimental internet anonymity can be to our lives.

Another internet topic, Jamie’s website focuses on the deep web, a part of the web world most regular users do not see, and technically should not interact or interfere with. This in itself is the problem Jamie brings up in her inquiry project. It is very carefully and thoughtfully described and elaborated upon and really intrigues me as a reader.
Jamie uses a large amount of evidence, clearly showing that she has done her research as well. This is one of those tricky topics though, so while finding sources should not be the problem, finding reputable sources seems like something she may have come across quite a bit.
Sources are correctly cited in what I believe to be APA format. They are linked as well as in parentheses at the end of the evidence used.
We, as internet users, are being watched and tracked with every move we make on the internet. The point of Jamie’s research is that there is no escape from it, and there is a very dark aspect to the fun loving World Wide Web we all know and love so dearly. Basically, there is no such thing as privacy on the internet.
I thoroughly enjoyed Jamie’s inquiry project. The only think I’d have to say for her to get done is just to clean up the website. The link she provided in her blog post links to what I believe was the home page that needs work done since it’s empty. The pages also should be put in order and whatnot but I guess all of that is in preparation for the final draft anyways. It was a good read and very cool to learn about this otherkin of internet.

Some Assembly Required

LearningRx, a company that brain trains using training software has released reports on the effectiveness of their brain training games. These reports give full evidence that brain training is the new future for cognitive repair and continued development. Dr. Kirk Cameron and Amy Moore analyses of the data show incredible results. “The following…shows improvements in clients with severe cognitive weaknesses who initially
tested in the lowest percentile (25th percentile or lower). After brain training, these clients
“moved up in line” an average of 29 percentile points.” The significance of these types of results is immense. Brain games can be used to kick start our brains once again.

Inquiry Project Beta

I have a mental map planned out of my site and how I want things set up. Not much has been completed on it yet because of my 3 other classes, work, and the end of Ramadan. The site is geared towards fully engaging the reader by pulling them into the science and research behind brain games and why it’s so, so important to keep our brains in top shape. Here it is.

Honing My Tools

1. Kay, A., & Goldberg, A. (n.d.). Personal Dynamic Media . New Media Reader . Retrieved July 24, 2014, from http://www.newmediareader.com/book_samples/nmr-26-kay.pdf

2. Nelson, T. (1974, January 1). From Computer Lib/Dream Machines. . Retrieved July 24, 2014, from http://www.newmediareader.com/book_samples/nmr-21-nelson.pdf

3. Engelbart, D. (1962, October 1). AUGMENTING HUMAN INTELLECT: A CONCEPTUAL FRAMEWORK . Augmenting Human Intellect: A Conceptual Framework. Retrieved July 24, 2014, from http://www.dougengelbart.org/pubs/augment-3906.html

4. Doraiswamy, P. M., & Agronin, M. E. (2009, April 28). Brain Games: Do They Really Work?. Scientific American Global RSS. Retrieved July 24, 2014, from http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/brain-games-do-they-really/

5. Efficiency Of Brain Training. (2014, January 1). HAPPYneuron RSS. Retrieved July 24, 2014, from http://www.happy-neuron.com/brain-and-training/why-train-your-brain

6. Novella, S. (2013, April 17). Does Brain Training Work? « Science-Based Medicine. Does Brain Training Work? « Science-Based Medicine. Retrieved July 24, 2014, from http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/does-brain-training-work/

7. Nouchi, R., Taki, Y., Takeuchi, H., Hashizume, H., Akitsuki, Y., Shigemune, Y., et al. (2012, January 11). Brain Training Game Improves Executive Functions and Processing Speed in the Elderly: A Randomized Controlled Trial. PLOS ONE:. Retrieved July 24, 2014, from http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0029676

8. Hurley, D. (2014, February 14). The Science Behind ‘Brain Training’. The Atlantic. Retrieved July 24, 2014, from http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/02/the-science-behind-brain-training/283634/

Interior Design

1. Brain games typically sound like childs play to those who hear that it is used for improving brain function. People usually scoff at them. What brains actually aim to do is improve cognitive function by engaging certain parts of the brain such as memory and problem solving areas, and giving them a workout, video game style.

2. People usually associate the stigma behind regular old video games, without realizing that these brain games are specifically designed to train the mind and stimulate neuroplasticity. The reason this is a huge problem to me is that people refuse to take these games seriously. They don’t think any good will come from them, and therefore it is a huge waste of time. I see no bad in this, you’re having a good time relaxing and playing a game, while training and stimulating parts of your brain that most likely need it in this day and age.

3. Most research vouches for brain games and brain training. I have seen more positive results for the elderly. This is still great to hear because it proves that are brains do deteriorate, and they also have the room to rewire and regain neuroplasticity even in old age after years and years of life coming at it. To me, this is absolutely worth time and energy spent into helping prevent Alzheimer’s and could possibly keep our elderly employed longer in fields that require intensive problem solving.

4. Brain games and brain training are the future for the longevity and improvement of cognitive function. People should embrace brain games and be happy to be able to improve brain health by playing a game versus studying and taking exams that can track your progress. They have already embraced so much new and advanced technology with open arms, I don’t think it should be too hard to allow a new type of video game into their lives.

5. I wish to address why and how mental decline occurs and show how brain games can help reverse this decline. The support I have includes studies done to see just how effective brain games truly are at improving cognitive function and reversing cognitive decline. Executive functions and neuroplasticity of the brain are also looked at and the science behind the brain and brain games can help us understand how brain games are helping us now, and how they can be improved to continue to help us in the future.

Real Estate Search

I am going to go ahead and choose Wix as my building ground for my inquiry project. Believe it or not I do like to get a bit creative, and I think Wix will allow me to play around with aesthetics. I want to educate the brain while engaging it. I need a platform that will attract the mind with placement and colors and then hit it with the words that will make up my project. I want it to be loud yet organized and understandable.

Fellowship of the Sources

Increasingly, scientific evidence tells us that we can dramatically increase the probability of staying mentally and physically fit throughout our lives. Specifically for the brain, we can do this by brain training. Brain training keeps the brain stimulated and ready for apt function. The best way to ‘brain train’ is to use brain games that are designed to workout parts of our brain that deteriorate the most rapidly due to stress, less use, and age. These regions include but are certainly not limited to memory, problem solving, and attention.

As I mentioned earlier, cognitive decline can stem from a variety of day to day occurrences, as well as natural occurrences, such as aging. In a study done on the elderly, results proved that brain games did indeed show “that playing Brain Age for 4 weeks lead to improved cognitive functions (executive functions and processing speed) in the elderly.” Of course, this is only a short term solution. But if in this short amount of time our elderly are improving, think of how quickly our young adults could improve! Also, improving these games themselves can provide long term cognitive benefits for all brains of all ages. This is the new neuroscience.

My concept experience and nugget were on the same wavelength on how we can utilize all this technology to help improve brain performance and function.

Lina’s post deals with expansion in the Hip Hop world that correlates to my post with the expansion of brain games from just the internet. Of course in this country, bigger is better. The more we have of something is also better. I don’t see why this wouldn’t transfer over in the future.
Kahn’s post is about building upon a foundation of prior knowledge. In general, it’s also about expansion in the future. More information taking us more places.
Cabo’s post talks about the different routes that Facebook as a social media website could take in the next 10 years. All different possibilities are hashed out from the decline to complete revamping of real world relationships. Cabo’s post resonates with mine when they mention how Facebook will ultimately end up closer to us in some way or another with gives me another reason to advocate for the integration of brain games in our daily lives.

It’s evident that when talking about the future, most everyone’s idea has in common the fact of expansion. This all makes sense when speaking about the future anyways, so technically speaking I guess they are all categorically similar in the essence of ever expanding technology. However our technology and our resources and archives expand, so will our uses and extensions of that technology.

Future Thoughts

What couldn’t brain games turn into 10 years from now? We already have the Wii and Xbox Kinect that allow our body movements to be transferred on screen and processed into the video game wirelessly. Why not take our brain games and put them on a larger scale such as these inner and outer body engaging consoles?

To be honest, I think of it as a wireless console that can train you to control it with your mind but I don’t think any game could ever do that, not to mention we won’t evolve with telekinesis for quite some time. At a more realistic level, I believe the interface will become all encompassing. There will be programs built for all regions of the brain and your mind can get a serious workout. I also think we would take it to the bigger screens, going from our computers to video game style where the mind and body can be engaged simultaneously using our ever advancing technology.

Not only would there be a crossover between technology, I think in 10 years we can vamp up our computer and phone based brain games in order to curb brain deterioration or at least keep it engaged at a level where it must work to think critically while you surf social media that can alter brain chemistry. What I mean is that for specific functions on the computer, you must be able to pass a question or a mini-game geared towards optimal performance of the brain region that a social media site may target negatively. Same for our smartphones, you can’t unlock the screen or post that selfie on Instagram until your prefrontal cortex is warmed up. Therefore, we will have brain games completely ingrained and intertwined with our technology and our lives. What better way to stay hip, cool, and sharp?

I don’t believe integration of brain games would have limitations as much as it would receive backlash. I don’t think many people would like the idea of having to do more work to open an app or check their Facebook just because they’re lazy or they don’t care for it. I think a lot of government NSA brainwash type conspiracies would pop up and people may boycott certain appliances, although that may be much, much harder to do in 10 years, seeing as how our lives already evolve around technology. I think the integration would be a great idea. I think that we could get a LOT more information on brain function through these games and you can only improve the games based on feedback and the research that can be gathered through the use of the games.

The complexity of the human mind is so intense and uninterpreted, obtaining data from every computer or smartphone holder would be another step forward for our researchers and possibly enhancing our brains with more effective methods 10 years after that.

EDIT: I wish to explore brain games as a component of the healthy lifestyle of the future because of the fact that all this new technology is making us lazier, both physically and mentally. Physically, we have so much new technology that help our bodies stay fit, such as the Wii Fit or Dance Dance Revolution. I want to focus on the same type of technology for our brains, seeing as how much the public loves these fitness games. Also, I believe that keeping the brain active and healthy is just as important as keeping the body active and healthy. I do believe the brain, its vastness, its insane abilities, is overlooked greatly by our populous. We could conquer so much more if we could fully understand and interpret the brain and utilize every bit of it. I think the best way to start is through these games. Remember, the brain learns through baby steps.