Computer Lib/Dream Machines Nugget

“Computers are simply a necessary and enjoyable part of
life, like food and books. Computers are not everything, they
are just an aspect of everything, and not to know this is
computer illiteracy, a silly and dangerous ignorance.”

This nugget speaks for itself, but I wanted to use it to bring it back to my inquiry project.
Computers have become a necessary part of everyday life now. Which technically means the brain damage we incur from them is unavoidable. Therefore, it is essential to know what is hurting us, and how we can limit damage from the beginning.
This brings me to to the adverse effects of social media on cognitive function. We need computers for daily function now, so getting rid of them is not the answer. The answer is to use this necessity in moderation, just like food and water and sunlight. Just like food and water, social media is “an aspect of everything” and can be limited in order to help support brain function, just as food can be limited in order to support better health.

EDIT: Sarah’s post trails back to mine via brain function. Sarah mentions that our full potential is not able to be unleashed due to our education system. Shoving different shaped brains down the same tube and praising the ones who mold to the tube the best.
Lina’s post is absolutely true. With our extreme use of social media, I don’t see a better way to advertise. While on social media the exposure can be all around us or subliminal, but it all makes a difference on the way we think.
Kahn’s post relates back to the infinite knowledge across the internet. It is pretty cool to think about how the internet allows experts and amateurs to enlighten anyone who comes their way over the vast network the internet is.

7 thoughts on “Computer Lib/Dream Machines Nugget”

1. Written during a time when owning a computer wasn’t common, i’m surprised that Nelson thought that. Of course around that time, computers were pretty common in the workplace but they weren’t as big of a part of our everyday lives as they are now. Back then, a family would normally share a computer, now everyone has multiple versions of their own personal computer such as cellphones, laptops, and music players. In a time where the most common computers were probably desktops and calculators, he must’ve realized how reliant we would all eventually become on them.

2. I really don’t see a problem with our increased use of computers as long as we don’t rely on them for every single aspect of our lives. After all, computers still need some sort of guidance or commands to accomplish their tasks. As long as we still maintain the ability to process the the inputs and outputs or cause and effects we’ll be fine. My main fear is us losing the ability to think critically and relying on computers to make all the important decisions. While computers are becoming more and more automated, they’ll still always need to be told what to do at some point and properly maintained by us. Part of me still agrees with what you said at the end though because I’m a firm believer that everything is ok in moderation.