Reflective Tweets

Although I did not expect much feedback from others on Twitter at all, I was surprised by some of the responses I received and how they challenged my inquiry project. People with technology and its effects came to challenge my view of why social media is so bad for our brains. Even though I am against social media because of its effects on the human brain during what you may call “regular use,” I learned that when I was challenged I was aggressive in defending my point, leaving lots of tweet trails to follow by others. In this I realized that social media can be used to stimulate our brains instead of decline them, and maybe alongside or even without brain games, we could possibly enhance brain chemistry and flow through our oppressors – social media. Here are some tweets that made me think differently:

In all honesty, I quite dislike Twitter just because I only have 140 characters and when I’m trying to explain why I’m researching my topic and defending my thesis it’s irritating to write 32 tweets to the same person when I could have written a paragraph on my blog and be done with it. However I do think that Twitter is a good place where curiosity peaks because a one sentence description of anyone’s project does not do it justice, and so if one can grab the readers attention in that limited space and get them to check out their research project then I call that a win. Maybe its the quiet, reserved internet persona in me, but I hate having multiple social media accounts floating around the internet.

One thought on “Reflective Tweets”

1. Why not write the response as a full paragraph on your blog, and then tweet a link to it? Who says the whole conversation has to take place in Twitter? [There may be a time-factor involved, such as both participants only having phone-based access to Twitter and not the blog at the desired time of interaction, but in this case perhaps slowing the conversation down a bit by moving it to the blog would not be inappropriate, and would facilitate further and deeper discussion later.]

An advantage to posting the response in your blog is that it is preserved a bit more easily and more permanently, so you can refine or reuse it later, or point to it and make further comments later. Recalling the conversation and ideas a year from now will be more difficult if you have to find and fish multiple tweets out of the Twitter stream.

I’m trying to teach my kids to be conscious of various modes of communication, and to choose the appropriate mode based on who they are communicating with, and the topic, and the urgency. They CAN’T text Grandma, probably shouldn’t typically email or text Mom, and certain friends will respond to texts but not voice calls. Other people respond better to voice than text. Sometimes it makes sense to email a teacher with a question, sometimes it’s better to ask in person the next day. Etc.